Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules. Allegedly

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Rules. Allegedly

Hi All.

Recently a friend of mine qualified from novices (in F2) and wanted to go in to F1. He approached comps in the correct manor. Was supported by other F1 drivers and was promptly refused. Earlier on this year another driver who had not completed his novices was allowed to move up in to F1 (he competed in F1 in novice). Again he approached the race director and the drivers and all agreed this would be OK for him to move in to F1. Comps have said there are rules and they dont break rules. Doesnt seem a lot of difference to me. What do you think ???. Doesnt seem fair to me !!!

Default Re: Rules. Allegedly

I for one could not understand the logic of the F1 qualifing process, if i was starting out again i would just buy a 503 and stay there because of the financial implications of changing formula. I think people would much rather be able to make the investment into racing for the formula they aspire to rather than taking some truncated and expensive route to it. People are fully capable of assessing the risk of racing an F1 and should be allowed the ability to race them if they so desire.

The current rules where brought about because of an incident during a Novice race i believe? (mabye someone from committe could expand) and whilst i understand the difficulty of having a lot of craft of varying speeds and little experience, but excluding F1 novices was not the answer! It may take a split of formulas (2 novices races) to split the faster craft or even timings from the ELS could be used to split the field. not exclusion!

Another problem with whats been done is that unless you have big pockets why would you be willing to invest all that time and money, to basically bin your craft as i feel there will be no second-hand market for them. This was my primary reason for changing all my plans and pulling back from the sport. I loved racing Hovercraft the people and everything about, but after a lot of thought i decided that it was not a good use of the money and other sports are offering a lot more for a lot less.

Simon Larman

No Baz, the circumstances were not the same. It was discussed in detail, and the commitee decision was no.

Jamie

I was in on the original discussions during my spell on comps about 4/5 years ago. In fact, it was my original suggestion (if not proposal) that F1 novices should be banned.

And it's a suggestion that i stand by. I truly believe that F1 in the hands of a novice is downright dangerous for the driver, other drivers, the public and potentially the sports image.

I've driven a top F1, and the difference between that and my F1 of 1999 is astonishing. That was no slug with 110bhp but come on! 170bhp in a 250kg craft with a novice at the helm is madness. A new driver may scr@pe thru a novice test but that doesn't qualify you, in my opinion, to risk everyone elses well being by racing it. You need to learn to race, as well as learn to drive your craft. Jamie's friend who has compelted Novices should be able to race in F1 if he was adjudged as being safe, and to the best of my knowledge there's no rule preventing him from doing so.

You can't just buy a Superlicence and race in Forumla One motor racing, or the top level of pretty much any motorsport. And most vehicles are more predictable, have brakes and don't take off or just stop dead at 60mph.

F1 is the pinnacle of our sport and should be treated with respect. But it shouldn't be allowed to bring about the downfall of the sport as a whole.

Its not an arguement that is any more easily decided than the ongoing 'Which engines for juniors' discussions.

It's a litigous world we live in nowadays and if the unthinkable was to happen and we'd let a total novice or junior compete without relevant experience and safety procedures in place, the club could face a disaster. F1 is more likely to produce that incident than any othe formula.

Jamie, specifically what rule is Comps quoting which is preventing your frind from racing?

Russ

If the issue is a qualified driver (no longer a novice) wishing to partake in F1 then why not?

The rule banning F1s from Novices was specificly to protect the other Novices (assumed to be unable to drive) from big, heavy, fast craft driven by other Novices (also assumbed to be unable to drive). If the person in question is qualified out of Novices (and by definition now can drive) they would then be in F1, who are we trying to protect? No longer Novice drivers because they are still in Novices. Therefore why restrict them.

A quick review of the rules for 2006 reveals that newly qualified drivers are not banned anyway, Rule O under Novices implies that for early qualification to F1, opens and Fs you need race directors permission, but whilst theres rule K which prevents them going into opens there isn't actualy a rule that specificaly states that a newly qualified driver cannot go striaght to F1.

and as stated above, i'm not sure why you would want to ban them, would an extra 10 races in a lower formula actualy prove they could / could not drive an F1? surely only that could be proven by letting them on the course. They've got to start sometime.

If Comps keep on building further barriers to entry for F1 then we'll be left with a few old farts like myself (who cant aford to do any thing else because theres no second hand market for the old F1 craft (or new for that matter)) because no one else is allowed to come and play.

just my two peneth

Dan

Hi Jamie.

So Phil cant go in F1 one with a 503 powered craft but could go out and buy the same type of powered craft as what you race with in F2 which is a lot quicker than the F1 he was putting together ????. Now would that be deemed to be dangerous. Also looking at the other responses to this delicate question it seem that there is not a rule to stop Phil going in F1 anyway if he now so wishes. I am not 100% on this so perhaps you could clarify that for me.

Rule 3.1

N. In order to compete in Formula 1 or Formula S qualified drivers must complete a further 10 races in national formula 2, 3 or 503.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    1. I truly believe that F1 in the hands of a novice is downright dangerous for the driver, other drivers, the public and potentially the sports image.

2. F1 is the pinnacle of our sport and should be treated with respect. But it shouldn't be allowed to bring about the downfall of the sport as a whole.

1. By that rational are you saying only F1's are a problem, isn't that like saying you couldn't run down a pedestrian in a "Smart car".

2. And the rest of the sport shouldn't be allowed to bring about the eventual downfall of F1.

You tried F1 for a while and decided it wasn't for you all i'm suggesting is that other people should be allowed the same! The club still retains the right to stop you racing if they feel the need.

Simon Larman