Thread: Bulg pumps and Runners

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Bulg pumps and Runners

Hay all, getting ready for a week away in December and need your advise.

(1): Runners, I want to put runners on the hull to prevent damage from inexperienced drivers. I was thinking 25 X 25 strips the length of the hull, maybe 3. but how to atach them, Fibreglass the whole strip in or bolt it and fibre it.

I have enough holes in the hull as it is and want to stay away from that if I can. Aliminium is in short supply here and thus that is very limited, maybe a strip screwed into the runners.

What do you guys do?

(2): Bulge pump, I was thinking of adding a bulg pump. What about an electric fuel pump, would that work? The amount of water is minimal so a hand pump could also work but not ideal.

I had another idea that I put a large pipe that is becomes smaller as it extends to the outside of the hull, attached to this is a T piece that then runs to the bottom of the hull and thus as the cusion air passed through the pipe out of the hull it in turn suckes the water out, like a spray gun works. Not sure this will work though.

Any other low cost idea's are welcome.

Default Re: Bulg pumps and Runners

For runners I would just use a sacrificial hard wood strip bolted and glued to the hull (a bolt as near to the front end as possible to stop it unpeeling - and you can use no-nails type adhesive if you clean first). Whatever runner material you use it will eventually end up damaged so you might as well use something simple and cheap to replace! There is also a case for keeping the hull bottom smooth - skids, etc tend to catch on rough surfaces making stopping tricky.

As for the bilge pump - I wouldn't bother. I have one on a craft and it's only been used a couple of times. The simplest way to drain the hull is to fit a drain plug in the floor. Either a plastic boat transom drain or, even simpler, a screw in plumbing fitting. If you get a lot of water in the hull then you may be better to fix the leaks first

Default Re: Bulg pumps and Runners

Sorted..

I found a shower unit for a camper that has a small 12V pump on it and a on/off switch and a lighter adapter, so I snatched it up. Have put a female adapter on the motor and this way I can change the aplication if I want, I will now make a tube that is bonded to the bottom of the hull running to inside the cockpit and that will then fit the pump. then just chuck the outlet pipe over the side and bob's your uncle.

Witht the runners, I found some 5mm strips that I will bond to the bottom and then using 5mm screws not to puncture the hull, screw aluminium strips onti it. Think this will worl well enough.

Thanks for the replies.

Happy hovering..