Thread: how do you?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default how do you?

how do you bend/form polycarbonate (if thats the best thing to use) into a shape without a sodding great oven?

can you chop to size and bend with a heat gun?

i wana make this sorta shape

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: how do you?

Hi John

Hows the new craft comming along?

I have had a fair experiance with forming polycarbonate for some of my other projects, i find it is best to bend it as you would a sheet of metal as heating it sometimes can give it uneven bend. I guess this could have been becuase i was using the wrong tempurature to heat it up on the line bender, but even so i think 'cold bending' will give ya the best finish.

Any help?

Nick

After spending the last 7 years in the plastic industry making such things, and yes i do know what i am on about unlike others you have a very difficult task. Before you can heat and bend it you need to dry it at about 120c for 24 hours then you may get it to bend at around 140c. Or bend it in a break press but you really need wodden tools. Dont try with nuch more than 4 mm.

Should look good as the rest of it then

was thinking it would be hard, but bloody hell!

i was thinking about 3mm stuff, that will certainly not cold form.

i remember at college that we made tape racks (no cd's back then) in a normal oven, over wooden blocks

so making a screen almost 1m long in my kitchen, aint gona be a option! will have to be in bits, with no bendy bits

Jon,

I've done it several times without an oven. I have used Acrylic and Polystyrene exterior glazing sheets, 3mm - don't know about polycarbonate. All you need is a tube former (22mm copper pipe will do) to bend it over and a hot air gun (paint stripper?) plus some patience. I just lay the sheet over the former and heat it until gravity bends it over. Probably not the correct method but it seems to work fine - the bends are even and don't have bubbles or marks on them.

I read somewhere that acrylic can be bent 1: 200 times it's thickness. So 1/4" x 200 = 50".

I can't remember if that's radius or diameter though. And of course it would not hold this shape on it's own, just would not pop on you.

Have you got an environmental lab at work? chambers often have 1m cube internally and should go to 140C easily...

Ian

oh yeh, we have got an enviro test chamber!

they were talking the other day about putting me in the emc chamber, as an aid to getting my hair to grow back, or maybe turn me into the incredible hulk lol!

but didnt think about that, will have to have a nice chat with the test engineer!