Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Carbon Neutral Hovercraft

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Carbon Neutral Hovercraft

another green concern is the composites we use, not just the disposal of, but the carbon footprint of producing the raw material

we've been using basalt fibre with bio resin for prototype race car bodywork but basalt is produced from volcanic rock so the carbon used to melt that must be high

we've also looked at natural fibres like hemp based fibre with bio resins but not tried them in anger yet

lets face it we can make many efforts for craft to become carbon neutral but the travelling and transportation of us and the craft will outweigh any efforts we make to make the sport 'green' just like the F1 KERS systems' a token drop in the ocean compared to the freight, shipping costs, totally floodlit race tracks etc etc

tony

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

E10 (10% ethanol) is commonly available over here at several petroleum suppliers. However, it has also led to a food crisis in the 3rd world! Corn that was usually meant as feed & food supplies is now being re-routed to the more lucrative ethanol market place!

As one of the earlier posts mentioned, I believe we should be thinking about using the hi-efficiency automotive diesel engines as motive power sources. Modified to run on used cooking oil to keep costs down. Of course, one of the problems is that the smell of the whole race course will cause everyone to be famished and off looking for a fill of fish & chips! However, the small diesels now used in Europe (not over here as our diesel fuel is of lower quality) work extremely well, are relatively light and quite clean running. I know of several people here who have modified their diesel cars to run on used cooking oil. Is it common to see this in Europe as well? Does it only work here because of our lower efficiency diesel automotive engines?

Bob

Forum God > 400 posts

Your personal carbon footprint can be taken in the round... as an example, I do around 15000 miles a year, around 90% of which is with one 0r two persons in the car. In my big (tow) car, the 90% "one-up" mileage is about 550 gallons a year.

I bought a two-seat eco-car to have alongside the big car. That now does my 90% mileage on about 200 gallons a year - So thats a huge 350 gallons for my hovercraft !!!! Playtime!

So if you want to play with a clear conscience, just compensate elsewhere!

Oh - and I save a bit under 2k per year in petrol costs - more than funds the extra fixed costs of two vehicles. Can't think why I didn't do this years ago.

Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

John2

Hello all,

There is no such thing as carbon free energy. The least of all is nuclear fission...but solar is closing the gap.

Sooo anyone up for developing a small powerplant capable of going unrefueled for 20 years or so? Gonna need a huge platform.

Trigger has been pushed...

Thanks
    J

Extremely active > 250 posts!

its warm enough now, for me to run my camper van on veg oil again, 75% of the fuel i put in my van, is off the shelf at morrisons for 84p a ltr
    Jon

Less than 10 posts so far! Club Member

I think they add some kind of emulsifying agent which effectively holds the water in 'solution', water droplets of any size tend to cause injector damage(the water boils causing localised pressure fluctuations and breaks lumps off the injector tip and nozzles).

Extremely active > 250 posts!

7 years of running veg oil, in my 1.9diesel golf, with no problems, have exactly the same engine in my van.
    Jon