Got it!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...and_east/63423 81.stm

Just in case anyone thought I was taking the mick

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Carbon Neutral Hovercraft

will be paying rabits to lay up craft and they get to eat the trimings

whilst looking at how much of an impact craft may be adding to the carbon foot print, what about the impact of members traveling to and from race/off shore meetings how many thousands of collective miles are there? consider if no one had a weekend hobbie and we all stayed at home and played with our battery hovercrafts? where to start? ban all motor sport? can of worms open..

I agree with Charlie that fuel for RVs etc is probably as big an issue as craft fuel. But it's exactly this kind of 'end of the world is nigh' view that made me look into the issue. I believe the good news is that with suitable changes to the fuel we use both for craft and RVs our sport could carry on virtually unchanged. We could continue to use todays range of engines and, for those that want to, we could travel to weekend meetings. We don't need to retreat to operating wind powered battery craft on our home lawn.

In fact finding a 'minimal impact approach' is one of two key 'tests' I had in mind when looking for a way forward. The second was that there would inevitably be areas like craft (or RV) manufacture where we couldn't be fully carbon neutral so we should take every opportunity in those areas like craft (or RV) operation where we really could be fully carbon neutral. This would mean we should over time aim for full neutrality in the fuel area not just carbon reduction.

This brings me on to Nick, Ian and John's comments. I fully agree with using low revving 4 stroke engines both because of their low noise and generally better fuel efficiency, 2 of my own 3 craft are in this category. Other efficiency improvements which lead to reduced consumption are also welcome. But to insist on over 50% of current craft switching to this type of engine fails the minimum impact test. Equally moves to improve efficiency etc are welcome as carbon footprint reducers but in the long term they fail the full carbon neutral fuel test.

With tongue in cheek I presume a craft made of wood, reinforced with carrots, glued with (what?) could at end of life be chipped and turned into more ethanol...? I guess the metalwork inc engine is recyclable (unfortunately requiring more energy hence test 2 above)

With tongue still in cheek I find it surprising how few acres would be needed to support our whole sport, craft and RVs. I wonder how far we could get on the grass cuttings we produce each year cutting the grass on all our land courses. As well as race control should we be towing an ethanol production plant around to all our meetings? - no fuel miles there!

More seriously I'd like to go into this issue more in a future mag article, but what we need is more on the issues around using ethanol - impact on engine performance, reliability, availability, practicality etc -any contributions?

Quote Originally Posted by charfont
    whilst looking at how much of an impact craft may be adding to the carbon foot print, what about the impact of members traveling to and from race/off shore meetings how many thousands of collective miles are there? consider if no one had a weekend hobbie and we all stayed at home and played with our battery hovercrafts? where to start? ban all motor sport? can of worms open..

Completely agree Charlie.

Not entirely sure that a few smoky two strokes buzzing around a field for a few weekends in summer is going to destroy the ozone layer (or whatever this hippy, tree hugging, hippy mumbo-jumbo is all about)

I read a few years ago, that the fuel used by a formula one GP team during an entire seasons racing and testing amounted to less than that used by a 747 to fly the team to Brazil.

Which kind of keeps it all in perspective.

Or to look at it in another way, my 35bhp cruiser uses, typically (not at the worlds... ) 6-7 litres an hour cruising in a coastal environment, averaging around 25mph. Or, around 30-40% less than an equivalent size 35hp boat at the same speed.

Noise is the enemy and biggest threat to our sport, sod the carbon, we're not being challenged or questioned about it and I can sleep soundly at night knowing my hover has a negligible effect on the environment at all.

We should be responsible in our use of our toys, for sure, but in my opinon, chasing carbon neutral hovers is just a nonsense.

YMMV of course.

Russ

And to go together with the plant fibres, how about resins made from vegetable oil!

http://www.bc.bangor.ac.uk/about-us/...es/case-study- 1/

And just for Euan a link to some more fibres and to research in Bangor Wales!

http://www.flaxandhemp.bangor.ac.uk/

Regards

Derek

As far as transport, it is possible to run a Diesel car/van carbon neutrally now.

I have converted my car, an E39 BMW 5 series, to run on 100% vegetable oil. I fill it up from a tank of veg oil sitting in my garage. The oil costs me 92p/L (78p/L on 2008) with all the Govt duties paid, the car runs exactly the same on veg oil as regular Derv, even at -5 degrees (Diesel is the name of the inventor of the engine, Derv is the fuel we buy from garages). The oil I use is mechanically produced from rape seed grown in Kent (there is some use for this county afterall). I can mix Derv, "biodiesel" (think of this as low tar cigarettes) and any veg oil (Rape seed, olive oil or whatever). The car smells pleasantly of chips when it is running.

Overall it costs more than regular Derv. I have done this because I am an angry customer and an affronted "engineer", Rudolf Diesel designed the engine over 100 years ago to run on organic oil, not mineral oil. We have all been brought up with the knowledge that we must only use mineral oil sold by the oil companies, even though it was ruining our environment. Any challenge to this has been met with disbelief and stories of doom by pretty much everyone, which is a shame. I consider that this is as bad as way the tobacco companies operated in the fifties.

These are the guys who did the work on my car, www.bloomingfutures.com, John is a an aeronautical engineer and did a cracking job.

Unfortunately I use my elderly VW van to get to meetings but this will hopefully be of use to some.

Just waiting for a lightweight Diesel for the craft, if anyone knows of one I am more than happy to progress this technology.

Keith Burchfield

they have a diesel microlight in the usa, based on the smart car diesel engine, if it will work for them it would work in a craft

try there web site http://www.ramphosusa.com/TurboDpage1.html