Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Neutral Hovercraft

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Carbon Neutral Hovercraft

I've been reading about adding 20 to 30 percent water into a Diesel fuel mix to lower emmisions and improve performance. It might even work with bio-diesel. The state of California has supported such efforts but I'm not sure where it stands today.

EDIT:

I've been told that water and Diesel fuel don't play well together, water tends to blow out and destroy the rail injector tips.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_b
    rape seed grown in Kent (there is some use for this county afterall).

Says the man who lives in the UK's Gay/Drug Capital.....

Keith - thats mad! You're paying MORE for the fuel in your car than you can buy it at the pumps.... out of principle?

You'd think that being grown 50 miles away would make it cheaper than Iraqi oil, but i guess by the time Brown and his crooks have slapped a selection of taxes all over it, the actual material cost is largely irrelevant.

Quite happy to use bio in my diesel Beemer, but no way will i pay more for it.

Russ,

It costs me about 5 month extra at the moment for the Veg fuel from Kent as it is about 3p more than Derv this week and I do about 15,000 miles a year.

I think the 5 a month is worth paying for the principle though, I am that annoyed, mad, fed up about the whole thing. Everytime I fill up in a petrol station I feel like I am being mugged. We are going to be slaughtered for tax in the next few years to reduce our carbon output from cars when we don't have to produce the carbon in the first place and therefore not pay any environmental tax! I'd much rather pay a Kent farmer the money than some company that keeps its money anywhere but the UK, which includes avoiding tax which we can't.

Next year Veg will drop 15p/L when a tax break kicks in. The payback is three years with a 15p difference to Derv, Derv is likely to go up over the next year or so anyway.

In Brighton, 5 is 1.5 pints only these days anyway. I don't know how much the drugs or gay men cost, I'll ask around if you want .

Keith

Growing our own fuel - sounds like the Top Gear team have got there first to judge by last night. I doubt we need the 250k tractors though.

I think John speedthing has the seed spreading sorted out. He made an attachment for granvilles craft that spread grass seed, for use on a scottish peat bog. Not sure how succesful it was though. All we need now are a hover plough, and a hover cultivator. If TG is anything to go by. Oh and some explosives.

Jamie

Utilising hovercraft in Agriculture was in its experimental stage in the 70's. The main draw back in using them for spraying or seed distribution was the air turbulence close to the machine. The bonus that everyone wanted was to apply sprays or seed when the ground conditions would not carry a wheeled vehicule. In other words the hovercraft was the best low ground pressure vehicule. The major problem with wheeled vehicules in wet conditions was the long term damage to the soil structure which gave a corresponding long term drop in crop yield.

A follow up on veg oil in cars, I got the dates wrong on cheaper fuel - this briefing from HMRC mean tax free veg oil for personal use (<2501 litres oil per year)- I have checked with HMRC - no VAT and no fuel duty.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm

65p/Litre in tescos to run my car... probably cheaper elsewhere

56p/Litre in Asda.

it does not say you can use veg oil, in your car with no duty! it classes this as a blend or substitute and is subject to duty!

verg oil is a hydrocarbon.