Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default can?

can a rotax be suspended/hanging from mounts like this rather than sat on them?

i dont mean the engine hanging upside down, with these mounts in compression sat on a bit of angle or box.

i want to bolt up into a bit of box section with the engine hanging off the plate?

will mounts like this cope? its not very fail safe tho i supose.

Default Re: can?

YES

Are you proposing to hang the engine from the cylinder studs rather than from the mounting points on the crankcase? Personally I wouldn't - 8mm dia. studs which are already doing another job vs 10mm dia bolts dedicated to holding the engine down - no contest in my book. You'd also get a lot more movement at the PTO. The distance from cylinder head to centre of crank is far greater than from std. mounting points to centre of crank, so unless the mountings were very stiff you will be more likely to throw a belt or, if using a gear box more likely to get blade/duct strikes. You would need more clearance for safety and loose out on efficiency. With very stiff mountings you are more likely to get breakages from stress and vibration too.

Kevin

It was done that way on a cuyuna (the motor is upside down due to gearbox position in this case),there are 5 stiff av mounts on the bottom (they had to be stiff to cope with the engine and blade tip movement)

dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's nothing wrong with mounting the 2-stroke engine upside down as long as you're using the proper crankcase mounting holes. Neoteric does it with all their hovercraft. http://www.neoterichovercraft.com/

i am indeed going to use the proper mounting holes, i thought the plate pic would illustrate that!

the question is not can i hang a rotax upside down, the question, is will those mounts (in the pic) take the load of hanging said rotax off them!

The mounts shown are not fail-safe, the metal core tends to separate out. Yes they will take the weight, the issue is how long they'll take it for!! You'd probably do better to make sure they're in compression rather than tension

hi ewan thats what i was thinking!

hmmm! thanks for the advice! back to the drawing board!