Thread: Kohler advice please?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Kohler advice please?

Hi Guys,

new member here...please don't shout if this is in the wrong forum!

I've recently bought a 'DIY-built' hovercraft off Ebay and it looks like it was built from the same plans that I got from The Hovercraft Club some years ago (but I didn't get around to building it and now I can't find the plans for some reason!).

It looks in good condition underneath, paintwork still intact, etc, but the top deck has a couple of holes in it, a bit of rot, and the paint has flaked off.

I've stripped it down, removed one of the deck panels and it looks good inside.

The skirt pockets are mostly OK, a couple are split and maybe a couple more need renewing.

I've stripped down the engine and would like some advice on getting a couple of parts if possible?

It's a Kohler 250-1AM 2-stroke and a Google search indicated that it's a 220cc 18HP model(?).

The contact points have a broken return spring and the advance/retard (?) also has a broken return spring (but a pattern one may do the job there).

One of the starter bob-weights is rusted solid on its pivot and I have a feeling it'll crack when I try to ease it loose.

The flywheel/dynamo (?) is marked as a Bosch POS1V (?).

A google search found lots of places in the USA that have Kohler points & spark plugs but I think that these are for the later 4-strokes...any idea what the part numbers are for each of these items or where I might get them in Europe?

Also, does anyone have a service manual that I might buy?

The pull-cord doesn't rewind fully and it may have a broken spring although it does rewind about a foot, so it may just be dislodged. Unfortunately I can't get the thing apart..

I've taken out the bolt in the middle of the bob-weights but the 'spinner' part doesn't come out, it does jiggle up and down a bit but it doesn't move more than a millimetre or so.

I've taken out the eight small nuts around where the cord winds up but the alloy ring doesn't want to move and I don't want to force it as it looks a bit flimsy. Should this come out?

I took it down to the local lawnmower repair shop last weekend but they have no parts for it...they're all Honda! I could pop into the local motorcyle shop next Saturday to see if he can suggest anything that might suit...

Can anyone here suggest anything please?

Regards

Peter

Default Re: Kohler advice please?

Try Hancocks of Redditch, they do most Kohler spares

Default Re: Kohler advice please?

Hi,

thanks!

Regards

Peter