Thread: westlake problems

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default westlake problems

anyone got a bright idea to help?

i can (eventually ) get it running , after 4-5 mins it stops and won't restart.

i have so far tried :- new fuel, gravity fed fuel, replacement plugs, cleaned up contact on flywhel, opened plug gap, closed plug gap.

getting fuel as a) it comes out of the precomppression vents and b) plugs are wet when i pull them out.

getting spark on both plugs when out on the side of the block.

have not yet done comppression test or stripped and rebuilt carb - maybe thats on tonights agenda.

all comments welcome.

Default Re: westlake problems

Hi Keith,

I would definately strip and clean the carb. It only takes a tiny bit of c**p in it somewhere to give you all sorts of wierd problems.

Nick

ok - i got the runnig sorted out. now i have a misfire on one pot on tickover.

any suggestions - i think it might be plug leads breaking down

also - anyone know a contact number for the brickles family member who is hot on exhausts? i got a few comments on the usless cans it came with - dunno how it was accepted before when dan ran it? have restuffed twice and it's db is coming down but i think i might just put longer cans on to make it reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by keith rhodes

also - anyone know a contact number for the brickles family member who is hot on exhausts? i got a few comments on the usless cans it came with - dunno how it was accepted before when dan ran it? have restuffed twice and it's db is coming down but i think i might just put longer cans on to make it reasonable.

mail me at russ(at)russpullen.com and i'll pass his number on.

Russ

Keith

I've now analysed some of the noise samples we took at Claydon. It's been difficult to get a fix on the Weslake lift engine but the noisepics I have suggest it running at 3000rpm and the engine noise is in the centre not out on the two sides. That would indicate it's air intake noise (in common with other Weslakes) not the silencers so don't beat yourself up over the exhaust cans. Get the engine running smoothly first then we can have another look.

The noise is slightly off centre to the left (as you look from the front) Thats probably because the craft wasn't perfectly central when we did the test but it might possibly be showing something wrong on that cylinder maybe a leaky exhaust joint

Keith Oakley

thats very interesting keith.thanks for the info.

you are correct about the exhaust joints. they are all loose and allow spent exhaust/fuel to leak through onto the hull of the craft. it is making a right mess so i have got 4 exhaust clamps and slotted the pipe ends so that they crimp up. this and exhaust paste are reducing noise from this area.

ive repacked the cans more loosly since you did that sound test which gave 90db and they are quieter but still noisy. if its ok with you (and i get some other work done on it by whittlesey) id like to see what the db is now and then i will restuff again with fibreglass insulation to see the effect of that as well. this might be a useful execise for you and me so that others may be able to see the difference in practice too.

you never know - i might get it into a race by the end of the season! then again??