Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Championships

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default World Championships

So the search is on for a UK World Championship venue....

Given the excellent course, racing, organisation and good European contingent this weekend, i would like to suggest Whittlesey. The local council are very welcoming and i'm sure would welcome the opportunity to hold a World Championship

Every venue we have has limitations and if the water issue could be resolved, i'm sure we'd all fit in although it may get tight,

What other requirements are needed besides what we normally provide ?

I think searching for a new one-off venue to hold a week's hovercrafting may prove difficult

Comments please

Default Re: World Championships

Personally I don't think that any of our current sites (not courses, <u>sites</u>) are viable options for a worlds site for various reasons.

None of the courses have facilities such as showers (except Fawley and that is too small anyway) and the cost of getting shower blocks in is huge. You also then have the problem of supplying water to the showers and what to do with the waste water (it has to be stored and taken away because I don't believe you can let it simply run away, more cost).

Local residents complain at other courses that have 2 days of hovering let alone a week of it!

I think that the only 2 sites that have the space to put on a worlds are Claydon and Whittlesey, and while these are very good courses the sites are completely devoid of any sort of facilities.

I believe that we need to find a site that has permanent camping (like Sweden) as well as room for campers and tents. Also a site that has facilities (showers, shops) within it or very very close to it.

Just my 0.02 <font size="1">lights blue touch paper and stands back![/COLOR]

On top of the water/showers/toilets requirements, add in the need for the provision of substantial electrical hook-up, facilities for briefings, presentations, catering - the event runs on for a good week, not just 2/3 days so vans and campers etc need the extra facilities, and participants need entertainment too.

Add to this twice as many craft as at Whittlesey, and at least double the camping units and you can see how our existing venues would struggle.

Equally, the existing teams of organisers already work extremely hard putting on the current round of National and International events with the level of facilities we have become used to. The additional work required by the organisers for a World class event on our existing venues would be huge (and so would the costs), so it makes sense to try and find a venue which has many of these facilities already to hand.

Kevin

Thanks for all the interest in the World Championships. Getting the right site is going to be the top priority, and I agree with comments made by the postings.

We must find somewhere that has facilities if it is not going to cost a fortune, and the one thing that could turn things in the favour of a site close to residencies is Keith Oakley’s work with noise generation! Cut the noise a bit and many other sites could open up.

As for the date, well, speaking to Magnus at the weekend there is a slight possibility that Sweden may try to pick up the Norway slot in 2008. This anyway would be too soon for us and so we need to consider 2009 (if no Sweden) or 2010 if they go ahead.

Lets all look for possible sites.

A race course like Whittlesey, a sports facility like Gang Warily, and a fixed camping area like Cosgrove Water Park.

Jim Lyne

i will call into the national regatta centre at holme perripont just outside nottingham to see if there is a suitable stretch of water and land combination to suit our needs. i know a few of the poeple there.

this place has everty thing else needed including accommodation camping and catering in a very modern building.

any guide on dates?

Regarding the worlds,

what sort of size/length racetrack is required/preferred? obviously Black Ditch is too small, Isn't Claydon about the biggest we have??

The French course was VERY Long, but IMO gave great racing possibilities, the long straights showed the outright speed of the F1's and the laptimes made the differences between the formulae obvious to spectators.

THe German course was technically interesting, ut had only one really fast straight, and the water section was a 'little tight' BUT the Ramp/Jump really made up for it (Spectacular wether you got it right or wrong) and was a (Herons leap excepted) novel feature.

How large a grid area is really required? At Whittlesey the F503 field barely fitted onto the grid and it felt a little tight!!

IMO Berlin was a fantastic course, fast in parts, technical in others, and the site had all the facilities available (at a cost). I personally think Berlin set the benchmark for future worlds. I did not race in France but from an observers point of view thought the course was good...

Berlin is the benchmark in my view.