Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skids undeneath

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Skids undeneath

Hi,

my hovercraft doesn't have skids underneath...it's a flat bottom (bit like the wife!).

I'm going to rub down hull, re-seal the joints and re-paint so I could add some skids if a few people think it's a good idea.

The hull is 10 x 6 feet at the top deck and I guess the bottom is about 8 x 3.5 feet...

does it need skids?

If so, what would be recommended...

Two or three?

How far in from the sides (with a third one down the middle?)?

What sort of width and thickness?

Hard or soft wood?

Regards

Peter

Default Re: Skids undeneath

Hi Peter

What are you using the hover for? Not neccessary for racing or grassy fields, almost essential for proper crusing and gravelly/rocky slips etc.

Best to use a hard wood with an aluminium strip to protect it or it'll be gone in no time.

And don't drop it whilst traveling sideways....or its over and out.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Hi Peter

What are you using the hover for? Not neccessary for racing

Not strictly true, we have skids on ours (Moto) and they have been invaluable for protecting the hull as we have a low hover height when the splitter is down and the floor takes a real caning at times. We replaced the skids twice in one season, better than patching up the floor!!!

Hi,

where I use it depends on permission...

I'd prefer Cleethorpes beach but until it's running I'm not going to approach the council.

If I can't get there then it'll be a water-sports centre just outside Scunny and that's grass/water with a sandy bit between (looks like builders 'sharp' sand/aggregate mix).

I'd assumed that if I was installing them then I'd chamfer the edges a little.

How far in from the sides should they be?

For sizes I assumed about 1 - 2" wide and 3/4" thick glued and screwed...

does that sound OK?

Regards

Peter

I've got to agree with Jon. We fit skids to our racing craft too, they have been invaluable in reducing the fibreglass repairs required to the hull to a minimum. We use 12mm WBP ply approximately 100mm wide stuck on with a polyurethane panel adhesive (Sikaflex or similar). They are located right at the edges of the bottom, next to the planing surfaces, along the full length of the craft. We then add 2 more short lengths (900 - 1000mm long) about 200mm in from these under the driver area - this stops the floor flexing and gives added support under the driver's knees. Chamfer off the outside edges and they don't grab if you land sideways. If the ply gets damaged it's fairly easy to scarf in a new bit.

The skids on Bob Beech's Scat are about 25mm deep and located 50mm from the edge. These caused a lot of grab when he first had the craft so we fitted chamfered hardwood fillets up to the edge of the planing surfaces and the problem went away.

I've seen skids made from aluminium, nylon strips, hardwood, softwood and plywood. They all do a good job.

Kevin

Hi,

actually it's just popped into my mind that the skirt segments are cable-tied just under the ouside edges of the bottom...

If I'm remembering this correctly then I'd be setting the skids about 50mm in from the sides.

Regards

Peter

i kinda agree with everyone! my little craft had 25mm square box skids on the bottom, with stainless strips on! these help a great deal when landing on hard ground! They do however if you stop sideways wana dig in, and make the craft flip! did this once, now i dont stop sideways if i can help it!

all above is good advice, and i recon a wide flat skid, as suggested is the best option. larger surface area on skid bottom and less likely to dig in, if landing sidways. if i was doing a similar thing i would encapsulate a bit of 6mm ply to the base of the craft in glass, and then put an ally strip on the outside!

depends on the craf type i spos, and how much weight you wana add. sacrafical skids = less weight, but need replacing regularly. more substantial skids with nylon or ally or maybe even very thin stainless sheet afixed to = more weight, but less hassle!

regards position of, with only skids on the outside the floor takes a lot of load when standing in the craft, therefore perhaps a central skid would be benifitial.

Ahhhh.... all my race craft have hovered okay so i haven't needed them....