Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SR-N1

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default SR-N1

Here she is...

SR-N1

...if you want to see her be quick as I have heard they are closing the site 'til 2010 while they do building works to make it a proper museum instead of just an old Airfield with hangars full of goodies.

Link to site is here...

Wroughton

Default Re: SR-N1

It would be nice if someone could make sure she's available for the 60th Anniversary of her 1959 Channel crossing.

Bob

If she can't come to us we could always go to her. Has Wroughton any potential as a worlds site? - water can always be imported, as per Berlin.

You might be on to something here, Keith. The Germans certainly showed us how it could be done with the importation of water. A retired airfield will definitely have the prerequisite open space. I don't know much about the area: is it now surrounded by housing or in a remote location so our noise won't offend? The Wroughten museum people could be coaxed to get on board and use it to help promote their impending redevelopment and we'd be able to highlight the SR.N1 on the 60th Anniversary of her channel crossing.

Bob

Random Point of interest.

I was born at the RAF hospital at Wroughton.

It is also very close to a large City (Swindon) so it would be possible to get lots of spectators.

Jamie

just a thought but surly as a landmark celebration of a great British invention there would be lottery funding available. they seem to give funds to many projects that are far less worthy. if you don't ask you don't get. my photographic club got a grant towards a projector from the healthy living initiative, based on the fact that we were encouraging people to get out and about to take photos. surely we could cold find a load of good reasons to attract outside funding for such a worthy project.

Thanks for the pointer, Jamie. I switched over to satellite view and located the airfield. I looks like its still active, would that pose a problem for a WHC? Certainly, Silverstone is an active airfield and that still works out for all. Do you know which hanger buildings are used by the museum?

Bob