Thread: removing rotax gearbox

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default removing rotax gearbox

hi,

I've got the gearbox off and the crankshaft bolt out...but the gear on the crankshaft just isn't coming off.

I'm replacing the small gear with a flexy coupling flange, so i'm assuming there's a taper on the gear as well.

Is there any way of getting the gear off? or do i have to fork out for a gear puller?

I'm not sure how far i can go with it without damaging something (like hitting it etc).

Also anyone interested in a roatx "A" gearbox + mounting adapter? I believe the gears are the 1:2.58 set.

thanks.

toby

Default Re: removing rotax gearbox

Hi,

although I'm not familiar with the specific engine/box...

in general if you have access to both sides of the gear then you could lightly tap both sides simultaneously with two hammers, ie, if the gear was a clock face then you tap it at 9 & 3 o'clock, etc.

This will generally pop a gear/pinion, etc, off a tapered shaft.

Other than that, could you apply heat?

Regards

Peter

there is a rotax extractor tool but they are not cheap, if you were nearer you could borrow it

dont start hitting anything with a hammer and certainly dont put any heat on it, as it will melt the oil seal!

the inside of the gear has a taper yes! Sometimes loctite is used on the taper, it shouldnt but i have spoken to rotax service engineers, that do and dont put loctite on the taper!

a gear puller will get it off, however as mentioned there is a specific tool for extracting! this screws into the gear and has a large set screw down the middle, which when tightened pops the gear off!

if you can get to someone like ken @ K&M, or skydrive/conair they will all have the tools, i used to go to the local flying club, where a helpfull rotax guy popped the gear off in less than 5 secs, where i have been messing with stupid 3 legged pullers for hours!

I have started ti fashion my own gear puller (only had an hour this weekend!).

It's a strip of steel 5mm thick, and i have ground down one side to let it fit between the gear and the casing (not the oil seal - this is recessed). it's not perfected yet (i.e. not thin enough), but seems to be promising.

i saw the thread inside the gear, but unfotunately don't have anything to fit it. I don't have a lot of free time at the moment (6 days a week teaching engineering!!)but i might try getting to White Waltham.

they have a (big) gear puller here where i work - but it's claws won't fit behind the rotax gear!!!

Toby