Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mirage build - redone thrust frame

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Mirage build

These flat plates will be welded onto the strips:

they have studs welded into them (max power top make sure the studs stick! each one is welded, then ground down, then put under high tension, welded + ground again.

an engine mount on the plate:

locknuts onto those studs do nicely.

mounts+plates welded in place. bolted down tight. can turn over the engine and the flexi coupling looks to be flat!

a random one to put here, but this is the back of the duct. I was planning to cut off the back of the cone, leave the hole, and add a rudder mount in there.

>>Is this the right way???

Default Re: Mirage build - (major) update 10 oct.

making the fan hub

luckily we found a 4" dia SOLID mild steel rod. it was about 4' long and weighed waaaaaay too much.

it took about 10 minutes to cut through it on a cold cut saw

made one HELL of a racket.

one of the technicians where i teach used to be a workshop lathe operator - so he was awesome at making these kind of things. did it for free aswell!

It took ages to remove all the unwanted metal, but a very nice finish.

Took a while and many trail +errors, but he managed to create a damned near perfect taper in it!

The other side slots into the ring (6mm flat plate - cut on a 150mm hole saw!). the idea being the main boss bit is permanently attached to the engine, and the ring is attached to the fan hub with all those botls. then there are 4 bolts that hold the ring onto the boss (because we didn't have any sufficiently large dia rod to start with).

ring in the hub:

and assembled. there are no holes in it yet; drilled it later.

Drilling the ring. clamped it on the drill press and lined up +drilled each hole individually.

MEGA e-kudos points / e-pints for the first person to name this tool clamped to the drill press:

the final fan hub in place!

right. i DID try the engine inside the hull. however, you were right it does not fit well. it was oh so close! but i decided eventually that it just wasn't as good as having it hte right way.

This is the engine frame I made. the legs are the rubber mounts extended. however with it the correct way up the legs are gotten rid of and it looks quite neat (no pics yet)

they may not be needed, but i spent ages making the damn things so here's a close up:

mounting points for the engine on the frame:

side shot - yummy welds!

how it looked - it looks quite good i thought, just the mechanics were stupidly awkward.

got the day off tomorrow - so should get some more done!

Toby

How you going to start it ???????

Just to clarify:

I have done a major u-turn, and the lift engine will be mounted NORMALLY. with engine on TOP of fan.

so the pull start will be easily accessable. I just haven't got any pics yet of this.

also i have recently painted the frame red.

[EDIT]

PS - i have ditched those legs, so the frame is directly attached to those cotton reel mounts, which are in the recesses on the lift duct. so wobbliness there, although i know what you mean - there actually wasn't any as they were M10 studs through 15mm of metal at the top and done up TIGHT, so no movement there.

I couldn't think of much else to do tbh. There are 6 bolts altogether thru the hull. I was planning to put some seat belt over the frame joints (and the lift flexy mounts).

Mild steel bolts - plated with shiny stuff. normal ones really. I'm gonna paint it red hammerite (along with everything else - it's the only colour i have and there's loads of it).

the boss uses they're M8 bolts. it would take qutie a bit to break those!

dont want to put you down, your obviously having fun with the engineering but not sure relying on bolts welding to the plates through the hull is sufficient. also you cant see the weld if a fracture occurs, all you will know is when the engine departs the floor! are they stainless bolts?

its funny how different people look at solving engineering problems in different ways, but i would have joined the hub with 6 bolts not 4, also you could have got away with the main body of the hub in 6082 ally, would save weight.

not sure the lift frame wont be a bit wobbly in that sorta shape! the legs are certainly looking a bit iffy! adding to the possible wobblyness!

Sure looks like weight saving is not on the build menu