Thread: Fuel tank placement

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Fuel tank placement

Hi Tony,

I think you should ask your students.

Nick

Tony, the throwing ball referance was not supposed to be an analogy, i was merely trying to determine if gravity works the same on planet Broad as it does on Earth.

Yes you have to use more energy to throw the ball higher, but equaly the ball will have more energy when it returns. If you can recover this energy - which in a closed system you can - then you can use it to throw the next ball in the air and so on.

Just getting back to the initial question. Just briefly, then we can go back to the question of gravity....

I had my fuel tank mounted to the side of my duct. I then made a new one which fitted under the seat. I don't know if it was a coincidence, but after that it was a lot more likely to plough in.

Having said that, when I had a wooden Cyclone, which is very similar to yours, I had the tank mounted to the floor at the very front. Worked fine.

But I wouldn't put it on the deck like you have shown.....

Nick

Best place for the tank would be on the floor in about the centre of the craft. That way the cg is low, craft balance remains reasonably constant with a full or empty tank and it looks neater. I would'nt worry to much about sitting over the tank - you virtually do that when you ride a motorbike and many cars have a fuel tank under or behind the back seat.

OK i accept your point Dan/Nick - height matters less if at all in a recirculating system, different story if open to atmoshphere

cheers

Tony

Hi all,

Sorry i havent got back in ages. I have been on holiday back to Bristol, as i am now working full time for 1 year @ Atlantic Inertial Systems in Plymouth which a month ago WAS BAE systems.

This is one of those times where i just go DOH.....

Well i originally inteneded to fit the radiator infornt of the hub(like most people), but when i was making the mounting brackets the only steel i had was too short to make it reach, so i just decided that id move it up abit and didnt really consider all the stuff you have all mentioned. Would the radiator really affect air flow that much?

My concerns about putting a fuel tank on the side seem to also have been broughgt up by you, and as i do want to race....might alwase be last but hey! The main reason to not wanting to sit on it was because the fuel tank is ideally placed flat with pipes coming out the top. I want the seat to be the same width all the way, and making it to fit the tank will mean my legs will have to stretch over a really wide seat and i know that will be uncomfortable.

Nick