Thread: briggs engine

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default briggs engine

What grade of oil should i put in a briggs 12.5hp vertical crank engine?

also do these engines have a built in fuel pump? cant see one.

Default Re: briggs engine

Hi Jon,

All Briggs engine now use fully sythetic 5W30 or 10W30 multigrade oil. If it's a new engine I would run it on mineral SAE30 for ten or twenty hours to make sure it "wears" in properly then switch to synthetic.

There is usually a seperate fuel pump someplace around the head - although some of them have pumps built into the carb (look for a vacuum pipe connected to the block or head). Alternatively, if it was used in a lawn tractor with a high mounted tank it may not have a pump at all.

hi john

found what looks like a pulse pump near the carb, little confused as the tube goes through the air inlet area into the carb. gona take this off and have a look see

further question! these things have an odd arrangment for throttle and choke, complicated levers and springs! i managed to get the throttle lever off the tractor and also the solinoid for starting! wana use if i can!

if needed i will fit a spring so the mechanism returns, but do you or anyone else know where i can get lenghts of the steel wire to make up a push pull cable up me self, failing this will use 1.5mm stranded throttle cable with a spring return. dont wana do this if i dont have to!

how did you lengthen the throttle cable on your engines of this type?

Come to the branch meeting on Sunday and we'll talk you through it

Quote Originally Posted by dangerman
    hi john

further question! these things have an odd arrangment for throttle and choke, complicated levers and springs! i managed to get the throttle lever off the tractor and also the solinoid for starting! wana use if i can!

if needed i will fit a spring so the mechanism returns, but do you or anyone else know where i can get lenghts of the steel wire to make up a push pull cable up me self, failing this will use 1.5mm stranded throttle cable with a spring return. dont wana do this if i dont have to!

It's probably the common combined throttle and choke - the choke operates just past the full throttle position on the control. Just keep it - it's far simpler than installing a seperate choke control cable and lever!

The spring arrangement will probably be the governor - again, I would recommend keeping it. It protects the engine against over-revving. You may need to adjust it to get the full 3600 rpm or whatever you need as they are usually set to a lower rpm on lawn tractors. Let me know the engine part number and I'll see if my Briggs book has any data on adjusting it.

The simplest throttle solution is to use a Bowden/push-pull/marine outboard control cable. You won't be able to make the throttle self close though - the cable is far too stiff to be able to use a return spring (and still be able to open the throttle ). I assume it's a lift engine therefore a self closing throttle would be a liability!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerman
    hi john

found what looks like a pulse pump near the carb, little confused as the tube goes through the air inlet area into the carb. gona take this off and have a look see

Briggs Bits do loads of bits and bobs, and you can just browse the online catalouge and order what you want, springs etc, if i recall its not only throttle and choke, its a form of governing as well to stop the engines over revving, (mind you you cant half get a mower to cut the grass quicker if its running a tad fast)

Forgot to add, the B&S web site will have all the manuals and set up stuff for download as well

Mart