Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer questions

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Newcomer questions

Default Re: Ewan testing

I will try again, this may be moved to another forum. New to the hover scene. Bought a craft in need of TLC that came with a Robin EC25PS engine. As its only 19hp I thought that this may be a little under powered. So found 2 Rotax engines, a 440 and a 503, both single carb ex skidoo. The question is out of all the engines which one to use and what type of fan would I need considering that the duct is 800mm. Also looking for advice on finger skirt material. Any pointers helpful. Cheers. Millar

Hi

Have you any idea what make of craft it is (post a pic here if you aren't sure)? If it's a small craft (10ft or less) then any of these engines should be OK AFAIK

The fan blades commonly used are either Multiwing 5Z or Hasconwing (different hub). The blades and skirt material (neoprene coated nylon) are available from suppliers listed on this site .

http://hovercraft.org.uk/suppliers/suppliers.html

Give me a call if you need any help (I'm Scottish branch chairman - number is on branches page).

Ewan might like to move this threead to the General forum - hint hint!

Thanks John. The craft according to the log book is a Vortex, but having spoke to Vortex it seems that its from an early mold sold to another. It was constructed in 2001 and raced with a TZR engine until 2005, since then it has been kind of abandoned. Sold on as a project and now its lying in my workshop unit. No intention of racing it, just looking for a bit of fun, but I like speed.

It's my old craft (a vortex as opposed to a Vortex Storm) and as I've mentioned by telephone, I'm happy to give any info you need.

The craft ran (in race form) 5 Z5 multiwing blades at 3000rpm. The turn of the blades was right handed, meaning the flow straighteners are in the wrong direction for the Rotax engines. replacing them is simply a matter of drilling out the present ones and replacing.

I would suggest that as you want a play craft rather than a racer, you use the 503 and go to 6 5Z (or equivalent blades in a 12 blade hub, at 3000rpm (ie reduction of 2.33:1). For skirt material, go to the supplier I suggested- I'm still loking for the template.

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1065&private=0[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

are you interested in parting with the robin engine?

i saw this craft on ebay a little while ago

Thanks, Its Ewan I think. Yes we spoke on the phone. Well sadly the craft looks nothing like this now. The hull is broken in several places, the Gel coat is crazed. What we have got is in need of attention. Once I get the nightshifts finished and the extension to my house wind and water tight, I will start to dedicate some time to it. Your picture says a lot, just need to get it back to its former glory. At least its under cover. All I want is to get the poor thing back onto the water and have a blast. As for the engines, the 503 you recon is the one to go for. Can I ask what the difference is between the 440 and the 503. I know that the 503 with a single carb should produce about 46hp when in good order, what about the 440?

Your photo has been saved as a reference point and is very much appreciated. Cheers

Dangerman, thanks for your interest. Yes, the craft was on ebay. I tried to get it about 18 months ago but missed out, got it this time. The Robin EC25PS, its a bit rough, runs all the same. The inlet manifold rubber is cracked so won't tick over, its got good compression, the exhaust is there but is very rusty. I would consider letting it go but I would need to be happy in own mind that its not going to detonate within the first few hours. Cheers