Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a fuel tank?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Making a fuel tank?

Ideally the fuel tank(s) would be situated under the seat - providing seat support, keeping the CoG in the middle and won't move during use, neater finish.

I was thinking an aluminium sheet bent and welded at each end to form a long thin one.

It would have 2 compartments inside running the long way, so filling/take off for both compartments are at one end. This means I can effectively have the seat resting on the top of the tank, and the filling cap can be at the end where the seat rises up with the handlebars.

I have emailed a few companies/people who do sheet metal fuel tanks, and they are quoting from £180 - £250.

Does anyone here have expereince making one / can advise me on making one myself / sell me one cheaper / make one cheaper at all?

I have expereince welding steel, but never aluminium. It looks difficult, but would be cheaper if it came off well!

Default Re: Making a fuel tank?

Toby,

If you want to weld aluminium, then idealy you should use an AC/DC tig machine. You can use the handy migs with special flux coated wire, you can buy it in Halfords. However, i have never found it to be very successful. The one thing is the ally must be clean! Good luck.

welding sheet ally edge to egde with a handy mig, will look rougher than a sack of knackers, and i doubt you will get it fuel tight, on the first second or third try!

assuming you dont have access to a sheet metal giloteen and or press brake, therefore an ally tank cut with a jig saw and folded by hand or on a box and pan folder will be rough as it gets! you also have to think about heat distortion!

250 quid is extremly high price for a fuel tank, used to make them where i work, and sell for around 100 quid, this was based on 20 quids worth of material (excluding fittings) and then 2 hours labour!

unless you have access to proper cutting equipment, decent Tig welder etc i would not even contemplate making a ally tank!

i think dangerman has hit the nail on the head.

i have access to a MIG and a jigsaw.

This is going to be a problem...

I think I foudn the solution

http://www.dureflex.co.uk/

Make custom plastic fuel tanks - rigid and flexible!

they seem to make skirt segments too.

Please forgive me if this is old news

Hmmm... maybe you should checkout the prices first!

Why not just use a standard plastic boat tank something like THIS

You can get various shapes and sizes and they are much safer (and cheaper!) than making your own. The other advantage is that they are removable so you can have a spare tank ready filled to just pop in when you get low on fuel. It also means you don't have to re-fill them in the craft - a dodgy procedure at the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robertson
    Hmmm... maybe you should checkout the prices first!

Why not just use a standard plastic boat tank something like THIS

You can get various shapes and sizes and they are much safer (and cheaper!) than making your own. The other advantage is that they are removable so you can have a spare tank ready filled to just pop in when you get low on fuel. It also means you don't have to re-fill them in the craft - a dodgy procedure at the best of times.

I don't think one of those tanks will fit (safely) in a racing craft using the mirage hull.

Why not just get Ken to make one, then you know it'll fit, it will have the correct baffles in it etc etc.

Yeah i looked at those on ebay (and there's an official site/vendor). They *just* don't fit in the seat!

max height is 19cm, width 25cm at the bottom, 20cm at the top (tapered).

Really annoying as they were hardly expensive, and would help support the seat as well!

I never thought about asking Ken, I'll do that right now