Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a fuel tank?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Making a fuel tank?

i appear to have been in france earlier today! Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerman
    i appear to have been in france earlier today! Odd.

It's a secret thing we're working on behind the scenes here at Hover Central, don't be alarmed, but DO buy a phrase book

I've made aircraft fuel tanks from alloy, using pop rivets and sealant. It's a very well proven technique - hundreds of aircraft are flying around with tanks made this way.

You just bend the sheet up (making sure that the last panel to be fitted is big enough to get your hands in) with flanges about 1/2" wide or so where edges join. Pop rivet the flanges together, then liberally apply 2 pack fuel resistant sealant (the best stuff is PR1422, see here: http://www.lasaero.com/article/a-pr1422).

The final panel is best fitted "wet" with sealed pop rivets (ones with no hole right through) and a liberal smearing of sealant on the mating faces.

The sealant is horrible stuff, but is exceptionally good at both bonding the tank together and sealing. At least one aircraft has it's wing skins just glued on with this sealant.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    At least one aircraft has it's wing skins just glued on with this sealant.

Jeremy

We live quite near White Waltham and get lots of light aircraft over us. I'll keep a look out.

Hi mate,

I made an ally fuel tank for an Eagle Sport earlier this year, to go under the seat.

My first attempt was using those aluminium welding rods you can buy that just use the heat from a blow torch. Verdict - totally rubbish for making fuel tanks!

In the end I cut and bent the ally sheet at home to the size I wanted. I made a fairly crude metal bender out of some lengths of 4 x 2. I was well impressed with how well it worked!

I ordered bits like filler cap and quick release valves from a place on the internet (can't remember where just yet, will look it up) All cool anodised ally stuff.

I then drilled the holes required for these fittings and swaged the hole for the filler cap. (This was the most pleasing bit coz it looked wicked!)

Then I took it to a local welder to weld up. Bit of a jobsworth, but did it for £40 cash.

Took it home, chucked an airline in it, found a couple of leaks, took it back and he fixed the leaks. Job Done!!

Hope this helps, PM me if you want any more details

Nick

You need to talk to Roger Clark in Reading 0118 9507735. Just off the Oxford Rd)

He is the daddy when it comes to TIG welding. I have used him many a time, and he has done lots of stuff for me, ranging from RS250 crankcase (after its argument with a conrod), ali engine frames, and ali thrust frame. He can probably recommend a local sheet metal place also.

Jamie

If you want a tank to fit a specific and awkward shape, then using composites is the most versatile method. Vinyl ester resin resists fuel nicely.

Nick

Edited to add: Hi Dangerman, I really am in France, I'm posting from the Cote d'Azur.

It's not that awkward shape really, just has to be exact!

I've spoken to Roger Clark, and he is happy with welding it, said I should go to Higgin's Engineering to cut metal.

The only issue is where to get a filler cap / neck from!

Demon tweaks do one at £15, but it has no vent.

I guess not a problem - could just run a hose from a pipe stub welded on to a higher point?