Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a fuel tank?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Making a fuel tank?

Try Think Automotive www.thinkauto.com

They do all the fuel unions, filler necks (about £16) and stuff. That's where I got all mine from.

They also do roll over breather valves. Means the tank can breath, but when you 'roof rack' it (roll the craft) then the breather hole shuts off and then your pride and joy doesn't end up in a ball of flames!!

Nick

Nick

Perhaps you should take more care when you race, then you wouldn't have the need for roll over breather valves........ or did you get it for Jimmy?!?!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

SOunds like a useful crimbo prezzie for scuba storm Kev!!!!!!!!

Jamie

I have decided to go with Ken. he has had experience with tanks in a mirage hull and explained to me a much simpler way of doing things, for that i am grateful

he says he would machine the filler neck himself, using a cap off of an existing fuel tank i think, then put the neck through the seat so it's very easy to fill up.

sorted for real i think!

Those roll oer valves are pretty expensive. I seem to remember the regs saying something about if t he craft turns over it shoudln't leak. not that i'm planning on it

on a side note - I have an interview at oxford for engineering on monday so shall now have to concentrate on that.

Make sure you choose carefully where you have the filler cap sticking out! Could be a tad painfull un a plough in if you know what i mean...........

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Drew
    Make sure you choose carefully where you have the filler cap sticking out! Could be a tad painfull un a plough in if you know what i mean...........

Seconded, smoothness is where you're at. I have a good mate, who will remain nameless, that had that problem. We were both in the craft doing a fair rate when there was a bit of a ploughy moment, he slid forward and crunched his nuts on the filler cap.

To add insult to injury the petrol that accumulates around the vent hole on the cap came into contact with other downstairs blokey bits and caused a slight burning sensation!

As Nick said, smooth seat, or filler cap half way up between seat level and handlebar level.

I was going to put padding ontop of it, which would probably be thick enough to be above the filler caps.

Failing that, I might put the filler at the back of the tank / seat nearer the engine. As long as i'm careful filling up it shouldn't blow up or something. That would stop crunching onself on it.

Do you mean on the side of the seat or on the sloped bit between sitting part / handlebar part? I was going to put some guages there ad it's not very big