Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: F3 Craft to race next year

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Wanted: F3 Craft to race next year

Hi,

I'm after an F3 craft to race next year, based on conversations with various people I think the ideal craft would be a shaft drive BBV....however, I'm open to suggestions.

As this is my first craft I'd like something tried and tested....preferably with some good 2007 results.

Email me with any potential craft on andy(at)griffithworld.net

Cheers,

Andy

Default Re: Wanted: F3 Craft to race next year

I should point out that I am after something now.....so I can get some practice in!

It's all a bit quiet....any 503's around?

Try having a chat with Greg...

http://hovercraft.org.uk/FUDforum2/i...hp?t=msg&th=14 31&start=0&S=24ae3ad50356cb91532c5ad477a2474e

Jon,

Thanks - I spoke to Gregg when he first posted his ad but at the time decided to try and get something a bit more tried and tested. Since I have not been able to find anything else I might follow this up....I'm new to Hovercraft so I'm not sure that trying to complete something would be a good idea.....

Out of interest what are the Cyclone hulls like...I was hoping to get a BBV as they seem to be quite forgiving.

Yep, Cyclone hulls are a bit fragile, ours looks slightly second hand after 2 seasons hard racing. Having said that I did most of my novices in one and bar a few knocks it held up well (got more knocks once I qualified up!) and is a great craft to learn in.

HTH

I would usually agree.However the weak point is the edge detail .Cyclones,Eagles and Meteors have fibreglass with numberplate screws ,BBVs and Aliens have aluminium and upholstery clips which makes them far more robust to knocks .When Dave Linney build my Cyclone he recognised the weakness and fitted an aluminium edge trim and upolstery clips .As such the hull has no major repairs and is as solid as the day it was new.

On the engine point if you want to race hovercraft you have to understand its 90% about fixing things in the middle of a field and 10% driving.It very common to seize an engine and rebuild it for the next race.An engine which ran last year may have been rebuilt 5 times in the year in a field.In My TZR Ive put 2 new pistons in fresh rebores with new small ends.Thats as good as you can get.It doesnt get any better.

If your looking for something simply to put petrol in and it will go then you maybe should look at a brand new rotax 503 leave the cooling fan on it and run it through a rotax gearbox.Hopefully you will get a full season only changing the plugs.Downside is the engine alone will cost more than my whole craft.Thats what you would buy for corperate entertainment.

Greg

I've gone the "Corporate Entertainment" route and bought a 503. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice.

Andy