Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licensing for the Thames

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Licensing for the Thames

Hi all.

First off I have the fuel tank sorted now, thanks for all the tips/recommendations .

While bored here at work, I've been thinking about how I can get the hover licensed to go on the Thames. There is a small slipway that can sort of be accessed nearby, and it is large enough.

I tried licensing the Eagle 1 a few years ago, but the woman on the phone didn't want to hear me and just said 'NO HOVERCRAFT'.

But I've been thinking, is I refer to it as 'vessel of 3.35x1.87m', inboard, petrol, open craft, etc. might they be a bit more ok?

I have contacted the 'Boat safety scheme' people and think I have now got a strategy to get it licensed without anyone actually having to inspect it - a declaration of conformity.

This could be a long trip of red tape so i'll try and update as I go along

Toby

Default Re: Licensing for the Thames

I think you will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby

But I've been thinking, is I refer to it as 'vessel of 3.35x1.87m', inboard, petrol, open craft, etc. might they be a bit more ok?

I have contacted the 'Boat safety scheme' people and think I have now got a strategy to get it licensed without anyone actually having to inspect it - a declaration of conformity.

Toby

One thing to think of though, PLEASE don't try and disguise the fact that it is a hovercraft, it only takes one person to complain about you on the river and you will end up with fines and a whole lotta grief. It's hard enough to find places to hover without upsetting the powers that be anymore.

I think you will find that you will have to abide by the river speed limit as well, which I think is 6 knots (someone will come up with the correct figure) which does not make for the best hovering conditions. Or go further up the Thames, can't remember which bridge marks the point at which the river is not limited, it was on Top Gear when they raced across London by boat, car, bike and public transport.

That bridge is down the river, i'm smack in the middle, but on a tributary called the River Loddon. We can regularly power upstream at a good pace; especially when it's winter and flooded .

The limit is 4 knots / ~8kph / ~5mph.

I know what you mean though. This is mainly speculation at the moment; if I can get the license and meet the specs there's no reason why I wouldn't be allowed to use it.

Nope, no reason to not to use it if they know it's a hovercraft and you are going to stick to 5mph.

Tip: If you are going to cruise at 5mph, buy a wetsuit, you will get very wet with all the spray!

if you are going to travel at 5mph buy a boat its better than a hovercraft

I used to own a power boat and it caused so much grief.

Because of the way it looked I sailed down the river at almost walking pace and I still had comments from the lock keepers. (Ive had reports of you speeding). I got rid of it in the end.

The river is probably the worst for being a snob. My boat is bigger than yours sort if thing. 10 times worse than on the roads.

As for Hovercraft on the river. forget it!! Ive been down that road. You have no chance! None what so ever. I get told to sling my hook even when I am playing with my models on the river by the river police.

Hi

It might be better to admit defeat on this one; operating either craft sub-hump will be a wet and noisy experience, and leave onlookers with a quite poor impression of hovercraft. A larger craft might be used sub-hump if making a short passage through a restricted zone to an unrestricted zone, but in the end you might as well drive to a more favourable area.

This is an important issue for us, we need to be seen to be responsible, and one way to do this is to avoid sensitive areas. There's no-one so irate as a man with mud splattered up the side of his spanking new boat! And suddenly, you find that he was at school with the Harbourmaster...

Ian

hmm yes I see what you mean.

I'll hold back for a bit I think