Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just an idea, but...

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default just an idea, but...

i know we are a few days in to 2008 and i risk a bit of p**s taking but here goes anyway.

May I suggest that the members of this forum make it there New Year’s resolution to be HELPFUL and give their help willingly!!! Not wait for others to reply to a request for help. there is a wealth of knowlage out there but far too many hold back. Open the subject to debate, but do it without attacking others. If you think a point of view is wrong find a polite way to say so, don’t get aggressive or be sarcastic. There are always two sides to an argument yours is not necessarily the right or the wrong side. offer your side into the debate and let those that ask decide for themselves.

By enlarge we have been very quick to slate others, many find the time to offer sarcasm and ridicule, not to offer the help and support that our fellow enthusiasts crave. This forum has the potential to be a place of haven. A tool for helping not for alienating. Let’s not make the mistake of being drawn into pointless argument. However good your intentions others have a nasty habit of reading innocent comments the wrong way. If it isn’t helpful (positive or negative) don’t post it.

Default Re: just an idea, but...

Couldn't have said it better myself, Gary. This forum is often the only contact outsiders have with the club and is therfore our public face.

Frankly there's a reason I and others don't respond that often now... It's because there are a core of individuals who like nothing better than to slate ideas and individuals through the faceless medium that is an online forum. Knowing you'll be flamed in such a manner - even personally - what's the point ???

There 'should' be a common goal here and we musn't forget the forum will be many peoples first contact with the HCGB.

I have to say I've been more than dissapointed by many of the previous attacks - some quite recent - especially to newcomers. That says a lot for the Hover community and the HCGBs image doesn't it?

It's a difficult one this - but I do know the forums that are successful - friendly - and places where you have no fear of posting your thoughts - problems and ideas are the ones which are quite heavily moderated.

Unfortunately many forums are a place where faceless people and 'trolls' thrive...

Chris Simpson

On that front, it would be nice to see more use of this as a shop window so that people can get together for informal cruising.

With increasing reliability and experience, we could see people in 2's and 3's, making use of public slipways, planning and executing a cruise around interesting estuary and coastline.

Having advertised a date, it would be reasonable for the host to expect each person to be insured, and to provide some assurance that the craft is reliable and pilot is sufficiently experienced for the event. It might be specified that the run is suitable only for craft with more than XX hours service, and pilots with XYZ experience. A maximum number of craft might be stipulated.

This ought to work best when a local person, who has knowledge of bylaws, sensitive areas, speed limits etc, is able to extend an invitation to others to join in on a particular day.

It obviously follows that one should not be offended if an invitation is not extended on any particular occasion for whatever reason.

Cheers

Ian

As always Ian another good idea and i will be posting a early season trip out shortly...it may even involve a few pints!

I agree the forum could be a good tool.I would like to see a write up showing the users experience before answering a new comers questions.This may stop newcomers following a best guess

rather than an experienced hover user sharing a problem that has cropped up in there past. It may help if the user posted their real name so there would no hiding behind a user name.

Just a few thoughts what do you think........!

A lot of such informal cruising does go on with local owners arranging amongst themselves a trip up the river etc.

In theory such an outing advertised through this message board would be deemed an "official" event with all the red tape associated with it (scrutineering/ licensing/ insurance).

Otherwise the club would be seen to be turning a blind eye to it. Obviously unofficial cruises goes on and so they should. You wouldn't go through such regulation to take a boat out.

People should be allowed to say they're going out and invite along like minded people but in reality I think folks just phone up mates with suitable craft and experience.

As far as the forum goes, few of the really experienced people bother to post as it's seen as a bunfight. And most of the people giving advice have b**g*r-all experience anyway.

It was suggested once to have a forum where only "rated" members could post, i.e known to the moderators and with some experience. Unfortunately it didn't happen so the newbies get bombarded with questionable advice. The best advice is talk to your local brach chairman or secretary.

this board was the single most useful centre for information and advice when i first got into hovercraft

as a regular poster to this board i see both sides, as in life it takes all sorts but on the whole i think the board is a good thing - we have moderators to calm those who take things personally or have hidden agendas

most people seeking advice usually get it, some people have different ways of viewing their opinions on matters - so be it

i will continue to post, seeking and giving advice, taking the mickey and just generally contributing

we have a good club - if a few individuals want to slate ideas let them, if it stops you from contributing they've won, don't let them

Tony

wow this must be a first in a long time. looks like by enlarge we all agree with each other.

Gavin Parson wrote

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    few of the really experienced people bother to post as it's seen as a bunfight.
    </td></tr></table>

This is exactly what we should be changing. Most newbie’s visiting the forum do so to find an answer to a problem. If the only response is from a questionable source what chance do they have? They themselves will probably go on to pass that advice on and we are back to square one.

I must whole heartedly agree with contacting your branch chairman. The help I have received from Ewan Black here in the south west was and is superb. (If that don’t get me kissas* of the year, theirs no justice) he was able to put me in contact with local members that have a wealth of knowledge. I am sure that without there help I would have made several critical errors.

tony broad wrote

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    we have a good club - if a few individuals want to slate ideas let them, if it stops you from contributing they've won, don't let them

</td></tr></table>

I agree... except why should we let a few individuals control the forum by scaring off those we most need to hear from.