Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead engine

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Dead engine

Well. I did the exhaust, sorry no pics now as it's dark. I eventually welded two small bits of angle onto the muffler and put a rubber mount between them and the fibreglass seems to be fine.

I was going round a flooded field and the thrust engine just came to a stop! I'm suspecting overheating as initially it wouldn't turn over, but did once cooled slightly.

However I've now lost compression in the magneto cylinder, as if the spark plug has been removed.

I took the heads off and everything seems to be intact, no nasty noises etc. There is a slight whiteish appearance on the MAG cylinder wall just above the exhaust port. It didn't seem to be scored or anything though.

Can anyone point to the problem?!?!?

This is a tad annoying as I had it going for only about 20 mins!!

Toby

Default Re: Dead engine

Unfortunatly the whiteish stuff could well be the side of the piston.

Whip the barrel off and have a look at the side of the piston.

Jamie

did it run dry of fuel? have you checked the cooling belt fan tension? and the state of the pulley?

do you not have any gauges on the engine? EGT's are worht the investment as they can warn before damage occurs!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes the white stuff is the side of the piston, and the rings all mushed together.

Hmpf. Can you just replace the one cylinder, or do both have to be done at the same time?

Does anyone have a spare cylinder + piston + rings they can part with?

Is it better value to change engine?

I have been advised that it could be a jetting problem, as the piston is on the exhaust port. I'm running a standard 447 SCSI, through standard Rotax exhaust. K&N filter.

Could the huge amounts of spray have cooled and shrunk the cylinder onto the piston at all?

What jet settings are other people using?

Toby,

the barrel will repair, or at worst rebore. You can get it bored for about 25 squid. Piston is going to cost you though. However I would recommend you think carefully what you want to do with the craft, if you want to race it in F1X, you are going to want a 503 in there. Now may be the time to bite the bullet. If you are planning to just play in it, rebuild the 447.

Jamie

p.s. can you resize the picture please.

I'm sliperily sliding down the 503 route at the moment.

Does anyone know if Kev T's 503 is still around? In an ideal world I'd be on the train to Devon on sunday to pick it up

if you can get hold of some dilute hydrochloric acid or a strong alkali it will dissolve a lot of the aluminium picked up on the bore - if the bore isn't scored underneath you shouldn't have to rebore

double check your jetting and two-stroke oil mix, adding too much 2 stroke oil leans things off as well

good luck and welcome to the world of hovercrafting, most of us have been where you are at some stage

Tony