Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start of a project in Australia

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Start of a project in Australia

I found your site recently and it has enspired me to have another look at building a hover cruiser for fishing. What do you think of the 2 ltr fuel injected engine from a Nissan Sunny, I think its a 1995 model.

Also has anyone made a UH18 using an air splitter box rather than a front mounted fan.

Is there anyone else on the site from Australia, I am in far north Queensland.

Default Re: Start of a project in Australia

Welcome. UH hovercraft use props for thrust, which tends to give a high volume of air but not much in the way of pressure, which is what you tend to need for lift. If you want to build an integrated craft you should probably look at the use of fans instead.

That said, the very smallest UHs are integrated, but use a small duct/prop set-up which seems to just about work.

Thanks, but unfortunately the fan seems to be the hard bit to find in Australia, maybe I should just buy the UH18sp plan and stick to it by importing the parts I can't get here.

The fans you are looking for are designed for use in air conditiong systems (factories, offices, etc) - they should be reaily available almost anyhwhere (Multiwing, Wingfan, etc). The smaller UH integrated prop craft work because the prop is direct drive (high speed) and small diameter. Integrated craft are less efficient than non-integrated types due to the conflictng requirements of lift and thrust.

For any hovercraft, weight is probably the biggest issue - with a larger craft it's usually less of a problem though. I would check the engine weight against what the plans say is the acceptable range for a particular craft design.

Attached Images Attached Images

Have you tried Nell fabrication? They sell fans and everything hovercraft related. (in Australia)http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nell/index.htm

No I haven't tried Nell. But I will now. Thanks

take a look at http://www.asv-aust.com/products/kitplans.htm even if you didn't want to build an asv craft i would think they would supply you with the parts you need. i can however recomend there plans, i am close to finishing my craft and found the plans superb.

I have been offered a couple of air conditioning fans they are about 14 inches across 4 blade fans from a small commercial unit but the fan blade pitch is fixed, each one also comes in a partial duct. is 14" across large enough to use on a UH18 as my plans have not arrived yet and these fans are only on offer for a few days. I'm not going to hold you to ransome for your answer any advice is good advive when you are just starting off.