Thread: GRP repairs

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default GRP repairs

To all hover fixers.....

In your experiences is it best to use woven cloth or CSM to do things like re attaching the planing surfaces to the floor and stuff?

Cheers

Nick

Default Re: GRP repairs

Always used CSM in the past, along with a glob if Sikaflex, sweat, blood and a great deal of swearing!

450g csm

2x300g CSM. Most wovens perform best when in a CSM sandwich, Although wovens tend to give strength CSM tends to give stiffness. For joining hull and planing surfaces you need a fairly stiff joint so 2x300g and don't be tempted to go 1x600g it's far harder to wet out thorougly.

Don't forget to consolidate to expell air and break down the fibre bindings

300g or 450g CSM every time for me and really rough up the affected area to get a decent key

i've found woven has a tendancy to delaminate in some repair situations plus it doesn't like tricky corners or sudden changes in direction

hi tony, yeh woven needs a rad to sit in or over! and woven on its own would be no good! parts of the sev have 300csm with 200 woven on the top, and i was very suprised as to the strenght.

as ewan said a combination of csm and woven complement each other to give an alltogether stronger layup.

im certainly no expert, and my next craft might go back to sheet metal, as polyester resin gets my glands up, but 300 chopped with 200 woven on the top would be my choice for strengthy repairs!

its also possible to get a nice finish on woven if sanded and painted in visible areas

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1229&private=0[/img]

if anyones interested, the panel the duct sits in, is 300csm with 200 woven either side of 10mm honeycomb board, the side panels are 200 woven direct onto foam, some of the panels i used surface tissue on, but found this harder to sand back after flow coating before a final sand to get shiny paint onto. its not gona be the ligthest sev, but it lifts well and looks nice

little bit off topic sorry!