Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marketing the club

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Marketing the club

Gavin,

There has already been a cruise on the Severn this year, another one next weekend, the Treasure Hunt in September, The Shannon Cruise and of course the Raid. I know there is not a calendar for local cruises but they can be made public on the cruising forum.

A cruising calendar is a good idea, events could even be added to the existing calendar on the site.

With new CACEC committee elected at the AGM this year with many new members with new ideas you may find new ideas filtering there way through. I share some (not all ) of your views.

Have a good Sunday

Hello All,

One thing that could be done that may attract casual passers by would be to make some of the direction signs larger and advertising the event.

Most people will say that is already being done.

From personal experience I have past the entrance to a site due to the sign being too small or siting on the verge of a road partially hidden by grass etc.

Even with satnat.

After attending a site a few times its not a problem but the idea is to attract passers by.

Also in my television area (Meridian) they have a section called Whats on?

As far as I know its free.

Maybe some one has tried this before.

When a race meet is approaching I print out the information and place on the notice boared at work.

Craig

Just noticed Jon's reply to Gavin.One bit that stuck out was the comment."I know there is not a calendar for local cruises but they are all made [color = red]public[/COLOR] on the cruising [color = red]forum[/COLOR]."

Yes the forum can be accessed by anyone but you have to direct the public to the forum and site and the only way that can be done is by advertising.

How vast amounts of the public turning up to watch a cruise would work but the same principle works no matter if its inland or costal racing.

Please NOTE this is not written to insult anyone or put down any ones hard work they put into the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpack Pert
    Gavin,

There has already been a cruise on the Severn this year, another one next weekend, the Treasure Hunt in September, The Shannon Cruise and of course the Raid.

.....and none of them official HCGB events, Hooray! keep it simple. Don't over-regulate cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by cadfly
    Just noticed Jon's reply to Gavin.One bit that stuck out was the comment."I know there is not a calendar for local cruises but they are all made [color = red]public[/COLOR] on the cruising [color = red]forum[/COLOR]."

Yes the forum can be accessed by anyone but you have to direct the public to the forum and site and the only way that can be done is by advertising.

How vast amounts of the public turning up to watch a cruise would work but the same principle works no matter if its inland or costal racing.

Craig,

There is a big difference between a cruising event and a racing event. Racing is a spectator sport - cruising isn't (unless you like sitting around for 4-5 hours until the hovercraft return ) The board is used to attract hovercraft owners to cruises rather than spectators.

I understand that the off shore events never got off the ground maybe it was a lack of advertising. As i am sure you know advertising hovercafting at the Severn Treasure hunt is high on our adgenda. For the kids we hope to use the club

house from rc hovers in the main hall and maybe have a corporate group giving rides also an appearance from the 007 craft. Then in the afternoon a rally up a fresh water tributary for in shore racing craft to get invloved.This will bring both sides of the club together.We will be starting the public advertising in late July. As avid cruiser,racing craft owners i,m sure you people would make every effort to join in!I would like to add there are many new members of CACEC which WILL sort out the irregular rules in the near future which have made events trouble some in the past.I must add i do agree with some of the comments.Although my racing career is now over (just as it got going) and i have enjoyed every minute.Taking advantage of club members organising events and myself turning up,racing doing nothing to help then leaving for home was great!!!However i have the oppertunity to give a bit back. Thinking back over the years the advertising for inshore advents has been c**p to the point i have had trouble getting there myself!!Maybe with falling numbers this is about to change.Less talk more action is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robertson

How about giving a bumper/windscreen sticker to all members with the website address?

Nice one and easily done as the shop sells car window stickers with the web address on, so they are already made. They could be sent out with the magazine.

I am booked to display our craft at four public events ( so far ) this year and would be delighted to display Club material if I knew how to get it. One of the events is a large model aircraft show in the South West, so that is a sure hit. Another is the Clevedon Pier Celebration - mentioned on the cruising forum - again there will be a lot of people about.

If whoever arranges publicity can contact me I'll be happy to display advertising displays/boards/leaflets to promote the Club. Better still lets have an official Club presence..... and not just information about racing - but the history and development of light craft plus something on the heavies!

While I'm on, I think there is a case for another type of user that seems to be ignored. I don't have the remotest interest in racing, and don't really want to get involved with long cruises. Having had my fair share of problems some years ago I have a huge respect for salt water and tides and found on several occasions that a ditched craft is a horrendous problem. If you haven't had a major breakdown on tidal mudflats you can't appreciate just what an inert object a dead hovercraft is.

However I love hovercraft and just enjoy operating in a fairly sheltered environment, much as people will go out in a dinghy or cabin cruiser. I don't advocate 'beach buzzing', so wouldn't it be great if the Club could organise some operating days where owners can just use ( and test ) their craft with other members on hand in a safe location. The first event on the Severn was absolutely ideal ( we broke down at the start and never got to the water and hence didn't go to the Treasure Hunt either ). There was no pressure and you could do as much or as little as you wanted with help and advice on hand, all with a really good atmosphere.

I would have thought there is a case for arranging some operating days using racing venues where enthusiasts - not just members - can bring craft, have them checked over by experienced club members and - with all the usual caveats - use them under supervision on land and water. It isn't difficult to involve the press and that would start to pull in people with a general interest and get new members. Unfortunately at present the Club is generally thought of as an organisation for racing but many people just want to make ( or buy ) their own craft and have some fun. I think we are losing a huge section of the market with the risk that someone will start a Club to cater for this aspect.

The Club could also sponsor a hovercraft building competition, perhaps using a standard plan and a maximum engine size. If they can have a birdman competition with people throwing themselves off a pier I'm sure it could be done for hovercraft! At least that way craft could be checked and people wouldn't be on their own, trying to learn lessons that others have encountered before.

Just some ideas....

Ross

Once thing that could be done quite easily, and would help, is a standard race flyer that could be set up for each venue. then make it a downloadable PDF file.

That way we can get it on works noticeboards very quickly.

Mart