Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Marketing the club

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Marketing the club

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    That's weird, HCGB is number 4 on the first page of my Google!!
    </td></tr></table>

Which shows Jon P, that you are using Google-UK. If you were to use the international google seach the HCGB shows up around the 19-22 mark, i.e. possibly page 3.

So Webby had better get busy on sorting those tags!

There seems to be some misunderstanding on how Google and the other search engines work.

It isn't a simple case of adding tags to get higher rankings. Google in particular has a very complex and, for the most part, hidden method of ranking pages. It used to be a simple case of adding metatags to a page but those days are long gone.

Getting good Google (or other search engine) rankings is a difficult and often time-consuming business. Google places very high importance on content... what is in the page, what the heading are, what links there are etc. It places high importance on inbound links into the site and the relevence and similarity of those links as well as the similarity of outbound links.

Each page much be tuned towards a small set of keywords by subtle inclusion in headings and the body text... not too many times and not too few. Pages titles, file names and graphic ALT tags all contribute. It isn't easy!

I use a combination of experience and software to tune my sites with some success (regularly top 10 in my chosen keywords).

To get a chance of improving our natural rankings we will need to, amongst other things:

<ul type="square">[*] tune the site for the chosen keywords with each page being tuned for keywords relevent to the contents of the page[*] continue with the links page and embark on a careful program of link exchange with other relevent sites[*] embark on a program of blogging by starting our own blogs and posting on other peoples blogs including one-way links into the site (google LOVES relevent one-way links especially from blogs!)[*] ensure that a relevent title, description and metatags are included on every page[*] Ensure relevent H1/H2 tags are included on every page[*] Ensure that every photo has a relevent and descriptive ALT tag[*] ensure that a Google xml sitemap and a yahoo sitemap is included for the site and correctly registered with the search engines. Ensure that it is regularly updated and resubmitted[*] do not register the site with free directories indiscriminately... it can seriously pull down the ranking[*] do not add small, unreadable or invisible text... Google hates anything that cannot be read by a human[/list]

This is not an exhaustive list but it is a good start.

Much of this may already be being done but I can see from looking at the html that much of it isn't. It is time-consuming and difficult and the results can take months to start to show but IMO it is definitely worth it.

Looks like you have just volunteered yourself Paul

Actually, I really wouldn't mind being involved but it is the kind of thing that is best done by the webmaster or at least someone who is actually looking after the site because it gets a little silly if one person has to ask another to make small changes.

Having said that... if people do want me to help out with the site I would be very happy to do so when I return from my trip and things have settled down again.In the meantime, if the webby would like my advice he/she only has to ask and it shall be so.

I do have a couple of ideas that the club might be interested in regarding the web site for when it is redeveloped so watch this space