Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bearings

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default bearings

trailer bearings, well it was once a caravan! need new if i wana take it a long distance, no biggy car bearings only take 15 mins.

but these ones are not taper roller bearings, they are straight ball bearings!

question is, can i update these to taper bearings? pressumably yes, if the bearing sits in the back and front of the hub?

anyone tried this before?

i really need to knock one side out and take them to the bearing shop, but if cant replace at all, im really knackered

Default Re: bearings

Go down to your local motor factors and ask to have a look at their wheel bearing book. In the back you should hopefully find a section on caravans. Then simply select your former caravan and order them.

Jamie

wish it was that easy, but dont know what sort of caravan it is, also cant see any numbers on them, so will have to knock them out first, if i cant identify will not be happy, was an old caravan.

If it was old, then the chances are it is a B+B chassis. It will probably say B+B on the hitch somewhere.

Jamie

hi jamie

thanks for the advice

taken them out, and most if not all the lettering has worn off

strange bearing setup, there is a big c-clip in the centre of the hub, stopping bearings moving! there were also two spacers in the hub keeping the bearings apart!

have worked out they are 62 outside 32 i/s but in section view they are stepped, cant seem to find any bearings like this on the web at all

any ideas? going to phone a bearing place tomorrow, but dont hold much hope, last place i went, with the hub were useless!

Not a very good description, but I think you are refering to an angular contact bearing.

This has an inner race, symetrical in section, identical to a standard ball race. The outer race has a shoulder on one side of the ball only. It is not uncommon for two of these bearings to be used instead of one plain ball bearing and tapered roller. Correct end float is often achieved with shims or a very fine thread on the shaft and a locking tab and washer.

62 OD is a standard bearing OD but 32mm is not a std bore (28, 30 and 35 more common)

Just found this -

http://www.bardenbearings.co.uk/medi...gular_Contact_ Bearings.pdf

is this it?

SKF type which I believe *have* to be used with a pre-set pre-load.

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...incatalogue=1& amp;lang=en&newlink=1_3_6

hi paul

not sure thats them, hears a couple pics!

the outer part is 10mm deep but the bearing is 16mm deep over all! its defo 32mm the bearing measures just under 32 and the stub shaft is 32mm bang on.