Thread: Compas from Hoverhawk HA5 Mk 3 W

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Compas from Hoverhawk HA5 Mk 3 W

Hi all, weird question this.....

This is an enclosed glass compass on a gimballed mount. I originally got it from the above mentioned hovercraft when I was involved in a couple of years re-build whilst at school (yes, I did go to school!!! I remember it well, it was a Wednesday!).

I have had this compass for over 35 years now but the liquid (alcohol?)is getting very cloudy and needs changing and the compass disc needs cleaning.

The compass does have a screw to drain the liquid but does anyone know what I could use to clean the inside with and then re-fill it with?

It is an old compass but I like it and I think it would look good in my new Osprey 5 craft?

TIA,

B.

Default Re: Compas from Hoverhawk HA5 Mk 3 W

Hi, brian the likelyhood of a 30 year old compass being accurate are very slim, we change them in the aircraft and on the boats every 5 years or so, if you can manage to change the fluid afterward go to a local airfield and they should have a compass rose somewhere on the airfield if its large enough, if you sit in the middle of the rose with the compass installed in the craft you should know how far off it is and then apply a deviation calculation every time you use it. you may find it has correction screws fitted somewhere to allow calibration, probably more trouble than its worth if you ever need to rely on it to get you home in poor conditions. However if its just for fun carry on

Simon L

you could try IPA

Hi Simon, you are right of course!

I have my pilots licence and am retired RAF and we used to have a compass "swing" site as we used to call it for the E2B, that was going to be the next thing after being able to see the dial!

I think as you say it may never be of any use but I would like to give it a go but I do need to get it cleaned first, it will not be of any value only that I have had it for rather a long time...

Cheers,