Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does an Eagle Mirage weigh?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: How much does an Eagle Mirage weigh?

Toby

Your license only allows you to tow a trailer of 750kg maximum allowable mass - AFAIK that means the trailer has to be plated with a MAM of 750kg or less. I'd guess that your trailer with a nett weight of 580kg probably has a gross carrying capacity well in excess of 750kg - if I were you I'd get professional advice - talk to the AA perhaps?

Kevin

Well, it's an ex car transported. It's been used for other large loads too, but only local (we just moved house).

Yes I'm allowed to tow up to 750kgs total. The car will be a Land Rover Defender (SWB) with a MAM (with trailer) of 3500kgs (I think!).

The trailer cap. is 2 tonnes or so, it's a leaf spring one it's that old! I weighed it today lunch time on the local weighbridge. There was a HUGE truck behind me with this tiny guy driving so it was rushed a bit, but they gave me a proper certified weight slip, so definitely 580kgs.

It's braked as well.

I built my last one and like people have said, it was light weight and large, designed for hovercrafts. Sadly that got stolen .

The spare tire only weighs 5kg so not too helpful! I've looked where I can chop bits off, but it's all kind of needed to keep it from falling apart.

I guess if I get stopped I can possibly fob them off by showing them the certified slip at 580kg (it says 'Trailer' on it).

Failing that it'll be the engines in the car!

You have 180Kg to play with and the claimed weight for a mirage is 182Kg

http://www.avdw32.dsl.pipex.com/mirage.htm

so if you remove the spare, you're OK

From the National Trailer & Towing Association website:

You must hold a full driving licence to tow anything.

Most drivers who passed their test before 1 January 1997 have licence categories allowing them to drive vehicle and trailer combinations weighing up to 8.25 tonnes.

With effect from 1 January 1997 the second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) came into effect, affecting new drivers passing their test after that date and HGV drivers who obtained their licence after 31 December 1991.

The net result is that new drivers will only be allowed to drive and tow the following combinations:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (category B) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total MAM).

Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. > 750kg, provided that the combined MAM does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. To be able to tow combinations outside this ruling requires the passing of an additional test.

As the gross MAM of your trailer is in excess of 2 tonnes, it does not fit either of the above combinations. To be safe I'd suggest de-rating the trailer - get it marked "750kg MAM" - Tippex stays on pretty well!

Kevin

Hands up anyone who has been pulled over and had their trailer weights checked??

Hands up anyone who has seen the Police patrolling the roads nowadays?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    Hands up anyone who has been pulled over and had their trailer weights checked??

My thoughts entirely.

At the moment it's not officially marked as anything, so I'll derate it, sounds a good idea. If I marked it as 1 tonne, I know the car is about 1800kgs, so that's only 2800kgs. Well within the 3500kg limit

Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Iceman wrote on Wed, 30 April 2008 18&#58;35</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

My thoughts entirely.

At the moment it's not officially marked as anything, so I'll derate it, sounds a good idea. If I marked it as 1 tonne, I know the car is about 1800kgs, so that's only 2800kgs. Well within the 3500kg limit
    </td></tr></table>

No Copper is going to be worried about you towing anything, considering your tow vehicle is a Land Rover!

As long as you stay out of the 3rd lane you'll be okay.

BTW. You can take an additional test that will let you tow with the Big Boys!

Yeah, but for 100 just for the test? no thanks.