Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does an Eagle Mirage weigh?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: How much does an Eagle Mirage weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan

As long as you stay out of the 3rd lane you'll be okay

Oh! Is that not allowed then?!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

since the muppet ran off the M62 and ended up on the East Coast railway line a few years back the police have got very interested in trailers, etc.

And given that you'll be towing a hovercraft they're more likely to pull you up to have a look at it.

It's too risky...

Regards

Peter

Hmm actually I just found this document from the DVLA (pages 4 / 5)

It appears to confirm the things above, so actually I should be well within the legal limits!

so for me-

car unladen weight: 1800kg [MAM: 3500kg]

trailer weight: 800kg [MAM: 1000kg]

total weight: 2800kg [MAM: 3500kg]

Unladen car MAM > trailer MAM so all is good.

Golly it's a complicated rule

Just goes to show - you should always do what your MAM says!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Jonathan wrote on Thu, 01 May 2008 00&#58;19</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

As long as you stay out of the 3rd lane you'll be okay

Oh! Is that not allowed then?!!

</td></tr></table>

Apparently not,, although:

On the way to Berlin in '06 I was in the 3rd lane at 95 when blue lights came on

I moved over thinking "jail? or just really BIG fine?"

No,they just shot past me at 100+ and disappeared (note to self, Foreign police cars are sneakily painted in non-reflective colours so they are harder to spot...

Mind you I won't be going very fast this year... F@&#64;&#64;ing Big Box Trailer now!!

um toby

even tho, your trailer is within the legal weight limits you will be towing ilegally!! NO ARGUMENT!

yes i have been pulled over and checked, yes i have seen police around hear, checking and ordering drivers to a local weigh station. and yes i have been involved in two RTA'a in which someone ilegally towing a trailer has hit me, the first was an unladen trailer which over took me in the outside lane, not attached to the 4x4 that drove off into the distance it flipped out and hit my car, the second was a caravan in the outside lane, which ended up flipping down the central res on its roof and killed the driver i ended up with bits of the van on the bonnet of me car!

so from my point of view, you not taking your towing test is not clever, ok your load maybe safe, but are you gona be?

not sure what the fine is for towing over the limit without the proper license, but i bet its more than 100quid!

its not worth the risk, and to be honest i would report anyone i thought was towing unsafely given my past experiences!

Woah hold on, why would it be illeagal? Sure it's a complicated bit of highway code, but I wouldn't actually be going against anything. I've got the trailer leaflet as laid down by them here with all the bits check marked, and my certified weight slip and the car MAM tag, to prove that there's nothing I'm doing wrong.

I have been driving for many years both on road and off [my grandparents live a remote area], in large and small vehicles, with/without trailers. I am confident about being able to do this, I just wasn't sure about the legislation initially though.

Believe it or not I am a 'safe driver', especially since the car won't do more than 60mph anyway.

I have been towing this trailer behind me for the past 2 days to get back into the whole concept of it, and to shift furniture freezers etc, and up and down the A4 through wind and rain, pot holes and the like. I even went through Henley during rush hour (took about 40mins!) and no problems there.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    Apparently not,, although:

On the way to Berlin in '06 I was in the 3rd lane at 95 when blue lights came on
    </td></tr></table>

Towing in the fast lane at 95mph lacks a certain amount of imagination.......

I got a wobble on with the craft at 65 and thats enough to s**t you up and respect what can happen if it goes wrong.

There is a speed limit for towing for a reason!!

Safe journey all

Nick