Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, could someone help please?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Hello, could someone help please?

<font face="Century">Hello!

My name is Benjamin Wigmore and I'm 16, currently a student at Barton Court in Canterbury. My school has just started the construction of a hovercraft in an after school activity with me over-viewing the construction... Oh dear...

I had started building a challenger hovercraft with my Dad abroad but due to lack of time, we didn’t quite finish it so stripped it of all the vital parts (fan, engine, etc) and brought that stuff back to the UK where my Dad purchased a fibre glass hull off eBay and a spare TZR 250 engine. He has recently given all the parts of the un-built hovercraft to my school to build as he is busy working and I cant build it on my own.

So... thats a bit of information about me and I'm here to ask for help if its no trouble, as I know not very much about hovercraft construction. (although enough about the workings of one)

The main thing I'd like some help and information on is the hull. The hull we have does not have the sides attached. (the bit where the skirt attaches to) The hull is of unknown make but apparently it was the one of the last ones made of it and possibly some make with the name robin in... (not sure though!)

The problem is that we want to attach the side bits on first but don’t know how to attach them and whether they would need to be strengthened in any way. We though of using right angled pieces of aluminium to join side to hull with rivets and fibre glass but I'm a bit worried that with the craft ploughing into water, it will be ripped to shreds

Sine I expect if I try to put a picture directly onto this post, I'll probably fail so I have put links to two pictures I have of the hull to see if that helps.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...Hover/hover1.j pg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...Hover/hover2.j pg

Sorry if that was a bit long-winded but I just want to make sure the hovercraft gets together alright

Thank you for your time,

Benjamin Wigmore

BCGS Engineering Club[/COLOR]

Default Re: Hello, could someone help please?

hi ben good luck on your new project.

fibre glass the planeing surfaces to the hull

and the deck side of the craft you can drill holes

and fix your skirt with plastic number plate bolts

this is kinda old school but your craft is a older model

having a closer look at craft at a race meeting is a worthwhile

trip all sorts of ideas and craft. good luck on your project.

font.

Get some bouyancy to strap to the hull before fitting the planing surface.

Like Charlie says, get along to a race meeting and chew some fat with others.

If you contact Granville Spedding, he stocks The Hovercraft Constructor's Guide which has much of the information you need to build a craft

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/publica...lications.html

I believe the hull is a Kestrel, manufactured by Osprey in the 80's. I know Dave Ibbotson won many an F2 race with one! Kip (Kipmac) will possibly be along to correct me and/or fill in with more info!

Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, thank you all for the quick replies

I'll try and get along to a close by race meeting but I think one of the closest ones to me is in September which is a little way off... (Unless someone can correct me)

When I fibreglass the planeing surface to the hull I believe I need to leave a small gap between the lip and where the planeing surface starts to allow room for the skirt.

I'm not sure what class the hovercraft will be in for racing but I think its F2 with the engine its got... But then again, not to sure...

Thank you David for pointing out what hull make it is, that should help me a lot incase I can find any extra information on the web about them!

Thank you all again!

Benjamin Wigmore

Hello Benjamin,

The TZR250 is F3/Juniors for racing in an interegrated craft ie one engine used to drive 1 fan providing thrust and lift.

Cad

Please soem one correct me if im wrong.

Gang Warily 26/27 July is your nearest race meeting. This means you would have to come to Fawley near Southampton as the site is at the 'Gang Warily' Leisure Centre at Fawley. Note the dates are at the beginning of the school summer holidays. Good luck with your project. You will find you will start getting answers/comments from HCGB members in your area - there are several!