Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKIRT DESIGN

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default SKIRT DESIGN

CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME SOME SKIRT DESIGN TIPS. NOW I HAVE MADE MY SEGMENTS FROM THE CONSTRUCTORS GUIDE. NOW I HAVE HEARD THAT THE CONSTRUCTORS GUIDE DESIGN IS QUITE POOR. MY SKIRT ONCE INFLATED SEEMS TO BE QUITE BAGGY AND ROUNDED AT THE TOP. WHEN I LOOK AT OTHER HOVERS SOME ARE QUITE FLAT AND MORE POINTY A BIT LIKE THE FLYING FISH DESIGN. IS THIS ANGLIA DESIGN BETTER AND MORE EFFITIANT.

HELP ME

ANY IDEAS ARE GREATLY EXCEPTED.

THANKS MARK

Default Re: SKIRT DESIGN

fold the lower attachment tags over pulling the skirt closer to the hull, it will reduce your foot print slightly all around, but the skirt will be less baggy and boucy! the back of the segment wants to be tight against the planning surface.

this worked wonders on my challenger! and its easy to do!

thanks for the input sounds good.

but is it my imagination or am alone in thinking skirt design is shrouded in a bit of secretcy.I can find lots of information on fan design,air flow,formulars,engine choices,hull design ect,but never skirt design.

when people say the constructors guide to skirt design is poor they never say why it is poor.

any ideas anybody.

thanks mark

its poor cos the lower skirt attachment tags are miles to long, and the skirt is baggy and bouncy, as it does not instruct to make the skirt so its tight against the planning surface.

not sure if its been updated recently but my old copy is like this, also it show pressure segements, which with the long lower tags, dont really do much. the geometry is not miles off tho.

i looked at segments of various different craft, before i finally modified the skirt, pulling it tight against the hull, is the major requirement to make it better!

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1540&private=0[/img]

Baggy!

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1541&private=0[/img]

not so baggy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ahh i see now that sounds logical thanks.

in my constructors guide perchased in 2002/3 shows 100mm long tags from hull to skirt. would making the skirt sides bigger and reducing the tags to as short as possible do the same thing and that would keep the foot print the same ?

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1542&private=0[/img]

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1543&private=0[/img]

hi

nice looking bit of ally

i would just try shortening the tags first, its quick and simple and should only take a couple of days. it should pull the skirt in 30 to 50mm around around, which will give a higher cushion pressure, which will help anyway! i found the geometery of the skirt was better slightly inbound. if you dont get the desired effect, then unpick the folded over tags and try as you suggest. you might still find the bag lifting up at the top, as it needs to be pulled down towards the lower attachment point.

do you have pressure segments down the sides? if so i would remove the flaps in the side bags, which will get more air thru and under the skirt. the bouncy bag is more prone to plough in, but you have a front lift engine that will help, also the craft looks like it flies nice a level. Have you had it out on water yet?

I have only tryed this on my Mirage GP with great success.My craft is a twin machine so this might make a diffence. I have an intergrated craft powered by a Rotax 503 and i am about to try a similar easyer and hard waring solution. This should help many of the racing accidents caused by plough in!!. At presant racing craft use inflatable tubes in various positions and this works very well.However this is not very practical on a cruising craft. I have found a very hard waring material and use it in the same way a Sevtec front compartment works. So far it has worked a treat. With a 14hp lift engine i have been able to maintain a high speed over long distances up or down wind.

reply to dangerman's question have i taken it on water yet?

no not yet i've still got that joy to come.

don't rush me it's only taken 6 years to get this far.

and i have got pressure segments down the side.

in the constructors guide the top of the skirt has a "radias to suit" has anybody tried the idea of replacing the radias with a straight line ,short cutting the curve.And i assume looking more like the flying fish design ?

p.s thanks to don for the photos.

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1546&private=0[/img]

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1547&private=0[/img]