Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hovercraft on the news.

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Hovercraft on the news.

I was up as well when the hovercraft was on the news.

Then hovercraft on Scrapheap challenge.

Then yesterday on the M5 going south a craft being pulled by a red vehicle with All terrain rescue on the side.

This is either a sign that I should get my craft upto scratch for next seasons racing.

Or someone up there is rubbing salt into the wound that I cant get out and about this season.

Fingers crossed next season.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by dangerman
    perhaps the local council have changed their angle, as they 100% refuse, point blank NO! to let me lauch my craft off the jet ski slip! the beach warden down there basically told me to F off

i think they have had some recent bad experiences with a numpty in a racing craft tearing up the beach! He has ruined it for others!

if you think you can get them to allow an event, then i would be very impressed, and also gratefull as its 30 mins from where i live.

From my experience local councils are often up for an event that is well organised as they're in the business of covering their a***s and don't want a death on their beach. They often get very hostile if an individual just turns up, I've seen that quite a few times.

That why this recreation committee appeal for cruising sites is slightly difficult to answer. There are many places that might welcome an organised event but frown on individuals.

It all comes down to local byelaws.

If individuals want to put on cruises or other events and do the negotiations with the authorities then they have a good chance of successfully getting it approved.

It is preferable if the local Council sees some benefit. A spectacular coastal race which might draw crowds and sell ice creams is more appealing to a Tourism Officer than a group of anoraks launching and disappearing into the distance.

I guess the idea of a "rally" might work especially if there were a few static craft for people to look at and maybe approved ride-giving. Now that might make the news!

your right, i suspect they would want to do anything to get people down there while the peir is being fixed!

a similar approach might work further down the coast at burnham.

its funny as both places now have rescue hovercraft, the burnham craft seems to have good thrash about the mud flats, generally on a sunday from what i hear from a local. but private/personal craft are not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by dangerman
    its funny as both places now have rescue hovercraft, the burnham craft seems to have good thrash about the mud flats, generally on a sunday from what i hear from a local. but private/personal craft are not allowed

The reality is that it is unacceptable for leisure hovercraft to operate on public beaches. I fully understand the reasons for this - most public beaches ban the use of motorised vehicles on simple safety grounds (people and vehicles should be kept separate). It would not be generally considered acceptable to run around a public park on a quad bike or in a car - why should a public beach be any different?

Having said that, you do have the same right to navigate on uncontrolled tidal water as any other water craft owner - that right includes 'mooring' on a beach as part of your journey.

Jon, assuming you are still a club member, I would suggest that you ask the beach warden to provide you with a copy of the byelaw that specifically bans hovercraft from launching onto the water. If he can provide you with a copy then please pass it onto the Recreational Committee and we will attempt to resolve the problem.

The rescue services do need to 'train' - however, the "hovercraft display" at Weston looked more like a publicity stunt to me.

[cynical mode off ]