Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost finished hovercraft but....big problem!

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Almost finished hovercraft but....big problem!

Paul,

I honestly dont know why....I must check im using a 22 on the bottom but i definatly have a 48 ontop. I did some calculations somewhere a while back, i will have to look through my notes!

YOu are right though, when i changed my blade angle right back the cushion was a lot better and the engine ran faster.

If this is the case would just changing the bottom pully to an 18 tooth be a solution dropping the fan to approx 3.2Krpm?

Thanks

Nick

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote&#58;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    would just changing the bottom pully to an 18 tooth be a solution dropping the fan to approx 3.2Krpm?
    </td></tr></table>

It would be a better solution that the current one. I can't see from your pic which belt system you are using, although it obviously has an idler/tensioner which makes a change easier.

H-section pulleys are available in this size, HTD almost impossible to obtain and fit due to the small OD (about 43mm)plus such a small HTD pulley would put enormous strain on the belt at these speeds.

addendum

On looking at your pic again the duct looks like an 800 duct not the original 750 you were thinking of using!! what size is it?

Paul,

The duct is a 750mm and the setup does have a belt tensioner so i should be able to make the swap easier.

So ideally what speed should the fan be running at and at what angle?

Thanks

Nick

I answered that question in your thread "Quick question" Thu, 02 March 2006, so won't re-iterate it here.

As you have the craft ready to run and the top pulley would be expensive to change at this stage, I suggest that you simply change the bottom pulley to 22T and run it at 3187rpm Max. Set the pitch at about 36 degrees. This should be very close to the final position but probably a little high.

I am sure somebody in your area would have a vibro-tacho you could borrow to check the engine speed )

Sort out the untidy skirt, play with the splitter position, learn to drive it and have some fun with it as is.

Paul