Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for some improvements.

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Ideas for some improvements.

I realy think the club should not be held back just because some people do not have broad band, if its that much of a problem then may be they need to move to a better area

OK Gavin, to turn the question back - what do you think that member benefits should be? What things would persuade you to re-join the club?

The web site improvements detailed above would (IMHO) make the club much more attractive to new members because we would be displaying our "heritage" in the form of old magazines/technical documents, showing off our current activities in the form of racing webcasts and blogs/pictures/etc in addition to improving communication between members.

There would be a cost involved in providing the above facilities (web server space, software, etc - not including the huge amount of "free" labour donated by club members) so why should non-members (who make no contribution to these costs) get full access?

I can't think of any member benefits that would attract me any more. Don't forget I've been there, seen it done in every aspect.

I've set up websites, run forums and the cost is so minimal it's not worth trying to share it with 500 members. I'm not saying that I know what the club is currently paying but the web facilities alone are not enough to make a club.

The small membership fee only really covers the cost of the magazine, stationery costs and the auditor so any other costs are borne by the national inland race series as cruising events are self funding and most if not all are now non club events for the reasons we all endorse.

I'm a member of a small local club and pay 80 per year but we get the monthly use of a facility (biggest cost), numerous social events, holidays etc etc. And newsletters are send electronically. Great, something tangible for my money.

The current calendar of self funded unofficial hovercraft cruises seems to be working well with organisers and participants communicating almost entirely via the web. So what else is needed? Anything?

Possibly only a cohesive guidance mechanism for newcomers.

The club is paranoid about being liable for the actions of it's members. The assumed responsibility for craft under 1000Kg is like a Damoclean sword and a third party fatality would close it down.

So what's happened to the branches? Potentially independant local groups would be preferable to a national club, inviting others from around the country to their events through a central forum.

In larger countries like the USA and Australia, due to the scale of the countries, this is the case and works well with strong localised groups meeting frequently.

I don't wish the club ill, I just don't think it's a benefit for cruisers.

why don't we make an online magasign and a normal one on paper and make it optional for club members to recive the magasign via e-mail or in the post and that way it will reduce postage costs and for the members whom work a lot and a rairly at home can be kept in touch. it would take some time to get it perfect but this means that the edditors can just post it on the forum and then send less coppies to members at home.

we can make a special link to the online magasigns?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Daly
    why don't we make an online magasign and a normal one on paper and make it optional for club members to recive the magasign via e-mail or in the post and that way it will reduce postage costs and for the members whom work a lot and a rairly at home can be kept in touch. it would take some time to get it perfect but this means that the edditors can just post it on the forum and then send less coppies to members at home.

we can make a special link to the online magasigns?

Yep easily done.

Yep! that would save me having to move

Sorry Martin, I will have to decline your offer.....but thank's anyway

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    I don't wish the club ill, I just don't think it's a benefit for cruisers.
    </td></tr></table>

I'm going to risk putting my head above the parapet in here again, by adding my three'hapence worth, as the point Gavin has made above is important.

First some background to put my views into perspective. I built my first craft as a school project, sponsored by the Daily Express, back in 1969. I joined the HCGB back in the mid-1970's when I built a plywood twin-engined craft, before I read the "Constructors Guide".............

After many years away from hovercraft, my interest was reawakened a few years ago, when I started (very slowly.....) designing a robust cruising craft. I rejoined the HCGB about three or four years ago, primarily as I thought it'd be a useful and beneficial way to learn and also share knowledge.

I didn't bother to renew my membership a year or two ago, for two reasons:

Firstly, the HCGB seemed intent on becoming a rule-making body, and were never going to sanction my aircraft propeller driven craft as being "safe". Daft rules assuming that certified propellers were in the habit of shedding blades, despite evidence to the contrary, were going to be imposed on my craft (which has got adequate guarding designed in).

Secondly, the HCGB offered little that interested me. I am not even vaguely interested in racing, all I want is to build and operate a quiet, safe, fuel-efficient cruising craft.

So, on a more positive note, what would attract me back to rejoin the club?

- A greater focus on cruising craft, particularly build projects and support for those trying to negotiate launch and cruising sites.

- A more inclusive and accepting attitude from the minority of members who delight in trying to ridicule and insult anyone who has the temerity to suggest anything novel (the reason I don't post on here often).

- A members-only "library" of really useful and up to date design data, including less-popular topics, like propeller propulsion tips.

- Less emphasis on creating "rules" for non-racing craft and more emphasis on providing flexible guidance on good practice (it's worth considering that if the club makes rules, there is an accident and the rules are found to be lacking, then the club may be liable. This may not be the case if the club just provides guidance).

- Assistance with some of the thorny issues surrounding cruising craft operation, like MCA registration, insurance etc.

I apologise in advance if some of the above are already being done, if they are then I'm unaware of them.

Jeremy

Here's an idea. A club financed engine!

After reading Keiths post about B&S engines in the Classified section, I was thinking about the "perfect engine" being the hovercraft owners holy grail.

How about the club developing a 50hp four stroke engine, maybe based on the modded Briggs & Stratton, getting it reliable and making it available to club members at a reasonable price.

Then have a racing formula using it in standard form without any further modification allowed.

So, the membership pays for the development of the engine and eventually for a limited run of parts, perhaps funded over a period of years.

Manufacturers could promote their craft fitted with the engine, possibly they could contribute to its development as they will benefit from it in the long run.

Were it successful and reliable, people could and should aim to continue using if for many years, resisting the urge to make it more powerful and unnecessarily modify it.

Bearing in mind that the 503 has been in use for over 20 years then the lifetime of an engine of similar power but better economy and ready availability of parts through the club should be longer.

Just a thought.... And before everyone rushes in and says it will be too expensive, how many thousands of have people spent on buying and modifying unsuitable engines over the years. Surely investing in the "perfect" engine will have superb long term cost savings.