Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for some improvements.

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Ideas for some improvements.

Okay, following on from the discussion about the magazine and the website in the cruising forum I thought we could use this thread for chewing over some ideas.

Here's some ideas:

Ability to renew membership on-line - Takes the work off of member services by automating the process. This may mean a few changes to the membership options but I think it will simplify it no end.

Club member only sections of the forum such as technical libraries, back issues of magazines, new magazines published on line (as well as on paper), club documents, cruising launch sites, a member map showing where all the members of the club are, tips and fixes taken from useful threads etc etc.

By making some sections of the forums for members only it becomes a selling tool for gaining new member. If we can show potential new members that if they join the club they get access to technical info, launch sites etc then we can hopefully gain new members. In essence we are adding value to the site and the club.

The use of blogs. This would help to make the magazine man's job easier as he can use sections of the blogs for articles in the magazine. It also is a good way for telling your tales of crafting.

On-line shop. This could be two-fold. For non-members you can buy DVD's, mugs, pens etc. Members can get access to a members only section of the shop for buying race and cruising licences.

I joined the L200 club (I know I know, ). You can sign up and view 2 or 3 forums. You can pay a one off membership fee that then gives you full access to all the forums (tips and tricks, green laning routes, technical library etc etc), it was certainly worth the membership fee IMHO. I cannot see why the same principal cannot be applied to our club.

I have just listed a few ideas above in the hope that they start a good brainstorming session.

Lets see what you guys think...

Default Re: Ideas for some improvements.

How about:

<ul type="square">[*] Live video/commentary feeds from race meetings (with results)[*] Member Picture albums viewable by everyone[*] Council/committee minutes/agendas so that everyone knows what's going on [*] e-review version of mag - a collection of interesting hover-related stuff found on the Internet that month (videos, articles, news reports, etc)[/list]

Good stuff, like all the above, especially the blog idea.

How to make it happen if support is strong enough?

Cheers

Steve

Makes a lot of sense to me... we should move forwards as soon as possible!

Ian

It sounds like a great idea , bring it on

Trev

Some great ideas which will drag the Hoverclub into the new world of communications created by the broadband internet. It should both reduce the admin workload on unpaid voluntary officials and vastly improve the services enjoyed by members, making membership far more worthwhile.

When I did my stint as magazine editor nearly 40 years ago some members didn't even have a phone let alone the internet and mobiles. The magazine was the only feasible way of communicating with the membership at large. Despite Anita's valiant efforts at typing on greased paper and my getting covered in ink from the Gstetner duplicator we had the same problems getting material, meeting event deadlines, and reproducing pics as todays editors. Yet if you look back at the 400 odd issues in my loft they remain the only real record of what went on and many of todays 'latest ideas' are to be found in 20 year old articles.

But whats the point of a mag if the event can be broadcast live on the internet as I did from Sweden? Well sometimes people say too much (and maybe later wished they hadn't) on the net, yet conversely say too little in the mag. Maybe the role for the net is the realtime, the latest news, whilst the mag becomes a more reflective, thought through, repository of record and knowledge. Something to read curled up in front of the fire thinking through a new idea, not a quick oneliner thrown out from work at lunchtime.

So as a strong proponent of both media I think there is a role for both and with new technology they can merge as Jon and John have suggested. If we use modern scanning technology on the old mags and make them available to members then that repository of info becomes widely accessible. If we make new mags also available online to members then you can get the pics in colour, and probably find that interesting half remembered article from 6 months ago via a 'google' facility rather than scrabbling around in the loft.

At a stroke membership of the HCGB becomes more attractive. There are many people in the 'hovercraft community' that aren't members because they believe the club offers little for non racing craft owners. The reawakening of enthusiasm for cruising, aided by new event formats and craft designs, dispels that myth but making far more information available to members is a very significant benefit.

Encouraged by the positive feedback I got for the 'Live Report' service from the Worlds in Sweden I've been looking at feeding over the internet from events live video, audio commentary, a gps based live aerial view of the racing and race results. It's all possible but the challenge is to use some of the latest technology to do it affordably without the staff numbers, and high cost kit the BBC use. Live feeds is one of my two R&D themes for this winter, the other is fan noise reduction.

Live feeds will be my contribution to the brave and exciting new world Jon & John have described. I know people are working hard on other pieces of the jigsaw. We should all give them our support and offer to help if we can.

Keith Oakley

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpack Pert
    Okay, following on from the discussion about the magazine and the website in the cruising forum I thought we could use this thread for chewing over some ideas.

Here's some ideas:

Ability to renew membership on-line - Takes the work off of member services by automating the process.
    now that was on my christmas wish list so that would be a good idea save the 20 hour drive over there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakley
    If we make new mags also available online to members then you can get the pics in colour, and probably find that interesting half remembered article from 6 months ago via a 'google' facility rather than scrabbling around in the loft.

At a stroke membership of the HCGB becomes more attractive. There are many people in the 'hovercraft community' that aren't members because they believe the club offers little for non racing craft owners. The reawakening of enthusiasm for cruising, aided by new event formats and craft designs, dispels that myth but making far more information available to members is a very significant benefit.

That might be rather overstating things Keith. Although I endorse the idea of an electronic magazine (oops, I risk being slated again for "keep going on about it"), I don't see it being an attraction for new members or enough of an incentive for past members to re-join.

I think it's a great option for current members but member benefits need to be more than that.

For non-racers, if they opt for an electronic magazine or just rely on reading an online blog for peoples cruising adventures, then there's no overhead so they might as well have free membership as it's purely a social network.