Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what craft

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default what craft

This has proberbly been covered before so perhaps someone could point me in the direction of the post.

What i am trying to find out is what craft would be good for a beginer. I am looking to go crusing. I live close to the Thames estuary so am ideally placed for the river.

Budget is a concern so am I best to build from plans buy a kit or save a little more and buy a ready to go craft.Any pointers for good makes of any of the above.

Also are there any club meetings in Essex/kent that i could go to and chat with members to gain more info.

regards

Rich

Default Re: what craft

Hello,

As always it depends on whether you intend on going out alone or with a passenger, the type of water conditions you anticipate, budget and even things like the potential storage of the craft at home.

I would say for a newbie going cruising go four stroke, single engine and as large a body as you can reasonably live with. Check out BBV, Eagle, Sevtec, UH and Vortex as a start.

Cheapest probably to build from plan or grab a second hand craft when they are available. If you think you're often going to be near others on water or along the waters edge think about the noise rating of the craft as well.

Better to go cruising with others especially at the beginning, there are loads of experienced club and non club members that will help you out.

Good luck

Steve

Check out the cruising craft guide:

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/cruisin...craft/cruising craft.html

This will familiarise you with the main types of craft and what questions need to be asked.

As with anything, budget is key. For a home-build project, expect to spend 2k to 4k, depending on size and the build standard you want. Good second hand craft are rare, and will cost from about 2k to 6k, depending on size, age, etc.

Avoid cheap "ebay specials" in the main they are suitable for fun in a paddock but nothing more.

Ian

<font color="darkblue">If you decide to build your own you need to spent a lot of hours and you will do and too many wrongs (wrongs= money).

Better way is the new or used hovercraft. The repair is easyer than build a new !

happy hovering !![/COLOR]

thanks for the replies, its a bit of a minefield ,of course all the hovercraft makers claim theirs is the best for all the same reasons the vortex storm looks good but im sure thats not a good basis for buying a craft

The Storm is a good craft if it's a single seater you're looking for... if you speak to them they may sell you a bare hull if you want to build it yourself. One of the regular cruisers has a Storm, its small but seems to deal with fairly rough conditions OK.

You've already noticed that the manufacturers all think their craft is the best thing ever. You'll also notice that owners all think that their own craft is the only thing worth having . They're all wrong except me, because the only craft worth bothering with is the Surveyor ... obviously!

Ian

ah now there is a problem already it will need two seats

yes malc is still waiting for that pint for towing you back