Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions from a hovercraft newbie

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: A few questions from a hovercraft newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce from New Zealand
    Hi, Thanks for that response.

Unfortunately I am kinda committed to the engine now, I bought it specifically for this project. (Brand New can you believe it) On the up side after Fuji Robin stopped producing it in the mid 80's it is my understanding that polaris kept using variants of it in there ATV's right up to 97. This means that a number of parts are still available.

Bruce,

I don't want to dishearten you but you appear to be confusing 2 complettly different engines. The EC25PS was produced up until about 1978, and was mainly fitted to small snowmobiles and microlights. It produces approx 22HP, and if left standard is pretty bullet proof.

The EC25P<u>F</u> was produced upuntil 1998 and was fitted to ATV's, it can be tuned fairly reliably to give approx 38HP, however it is a completly different engine, and the only common parts are the conrod and sparkplug.

lastly, how did you manage to acquire a 30 year old EC25PS brand new?

If you want parts for either versions, let me know, I've got a shed full of bits and bobs, new and used

Jamie

Ahhhh so the penny drops at last and I see where I have gone wrong.

The pistons are even different? Because it looks like the pistons are all the same for all the polaris 250 models.

As an update, (I know everbody is going to roll their eyes at this one) I have aquired a secomd ps engine and have a crazy idea that it mightn't be too difficult to convert it into an inline twin.

Is there an way I can get in touch with you jamie regarding these engines, their parts you have and their differences.

I cant believe the brand new thing either. The second engine I have bought is near new also. I just come across them when browsing a New Zealand online auction site.

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Gavin, can I just confirm something you said in an earlier post on this topic.

A deck height of 500mm; does this mean 200mm or so of hoverheight on top of that ie deck 700mm off the water?

Did I understand you correctly, that seems quite high?

Also the Constructors guide reccomends 1/4 of the deck area as lift, can a portion of this be a bulkhead above deckheight?

Thanks Again

Bruce

PS; I run up one of the Robins on the weekend, all I gotta do now is do something as far as expansion chambers/ silencers for them then i'll be right. (Well... the neighbours will be happier anyway)

Bruce,

If your duct in an integrated craft sits lower than the top deck of the craft (as is usual in order to duct the lift air into the hull)then the bottom of the duct should be at least 300mm above the floor of the craft.

From the floor of the craft to the to the top of the hull measured inside the craft should be at least 500mm. A craft longer than 12ft should have more than this.

Hover height is a different matter. That is the height from the underside of the hull to the ground below measured at full lift.

BTW I don't think joining two engines will work successfully. If you try re-inventing the wheel you'll just get frustrated with your project and give up hovering like so many before you.

I'd always recommend buying something that works first, learn how it works and enjoy using it. If you eventually go on to build something then you'll be armed with the experience and knowledge your first craft has given you.