Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: plowing in.

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default plowing in.

I have a flying fish marlin,that i have used for one season

in that time have learned loads met some nice people.I have seen loads of different craft in the flesh and on the web.

I never for one moment thought

that i would get addicted to hovercrafting.

I am contantly messing with the fish sorting out problems or potential problems fitting extras to make life better for me.

But i have a problem with plowing in.

I hear people say it has happenned to them a couple of times,but it happens to me everytime i go out.I dont drive at full throttle

everywhere and it has the smaller briggs 22hp???I have had a baptism of fire with plowin the first being on the training day cruise on the lune (brown trouser moment),`i noticed the craft behaving strange and let the power off very gently then bam!Five front segs flappin about,the poor thing looked like it had been kicked in the teeth.I have had one other experince as severe on the humber last time out (see cruise on the humber thread),however everthing stayed together that time and i got a jolt through my arms by bracing myself for impact.

I have read that scat do a plow resistant bag for there craft does anyone have any ideas on how to stop it or recover without plowing in.

I have spoke to bryan and he mentioned a flap underneath the craft but i fear i would damage the flap.Ihave started to make the flap but i am open to ideas.

Cheers gaz

Default Re: plowing in.

Here's some of the theory involved. Philip
    Last edited by Jon Pert; 18-Mar-09 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza
    I have a flying fish marlin,that i have used for one season

in that time have learned loads met some nice people.I have seen loads of different craft in the flesh and on the web.

I never for one moment thought

that i would get addicted to hovercrafting.

I am contantly messing with the fish sorting out problems or potential problems fitting extras to make life better for me.

But i have a problem with plowing in.

I hear people say it has happenned to them a couple of times,but it happens to me everytime i go out.

Cheers gaz

So you guys out there with Flying Fish just how big a problem is this . Is this more prevalent with the lower hp heavier B&S and the Marlin or is it a problem across the Flying Fish range

Plough in can happen to any craft especially downwind as Alan Bliaults book explains.

Unless you can supply extra air to the front skirt or partition it to maintain the cushion pressure against the external ram air at speed then it will plough in.

The weight of a B&S at the rear of a craft is irrelevant and if anything helps the situation by creating a higher skirt pressure at the rear thus moving more air to the front of the craft.

Plough in can be controlled by driver awareness and corectly trimming the craft depending on the prevailing wind conditions.

Craft with a lift fan with separate air ducting to the front skirt can minimize the problem. Any integrated craft is more likely to plough in as the air has further to travel from the fan and loses velocity and pressure on the way.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

Gaz,

From my own experience I am aware that you can plough in an integrated craft in particular by trying too hard NOT to plough in.

By sitting too far back in the craft you can arrive at a situation where the rear chip bags (if fitted) can grab the water at the inner attachment point and in doing so it can result in rapid loss of speed and the nose slamming down.

I must hold the record for Kestrel plough ins at Stanford Hall until I began to trust the craft and trim it better.

If and when you feel one coming on try chucking the craft sideways and when travelling down wind you should constantly shift the craft angle gently left and right.

If you can, go out with a similar craft and check your trim against the other craft or have the other driver check you out.

Hope this helps.

Kip

N.B Is it Plough or Plow??

Please remember i have low hours on hovercraft.

inexperience could be a major part of the problem.everytime a plowin has happened i have been in a straight line for a long period of time.

Please dont be put off fish because of this i love mine a would not be without it,it is reliable and fun.

I JUST NEED ADVICE TO HELP SORT IT/MY PROBLEM.

Rear skirt mod need testing (sealed half way up)

I should of course be pointed out that Don Underwood has an issue with me and takes every opportunity he can to try and damage the reputation of Flying Fish hovers, with well constrcuted posts such as the one above. If he were to buy a Flying Fish craft (yeah-right.... ) he'd need to buy a used one - there's no way we'd sell him one.

Gazza - by all means buzz me on 0845 07 11 178 for a chat.

Russ

I can safely say i would love to buy a new fish if i had the money.

You must remember my fish is an exracer, and it has a few years under its belt.I am sure they have made many improvements since mine was built.

saying that i still think that my fish was good value for money and smiles per it cant be beat

Buy one and see for yourself,

i am learning alot about this sport and loving it,

would love to race but i am sure as with most motor sport money wins