Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osprey-Guzzi

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Osprey-Guzzi

Hello to all I have been "lurking" without posting for a while I have the remains of an Osprey H-craft

[/img]

And am looking at fitting a Guzzi V50 motor in it as in :

This is a rough up:

Has anyone fitted a Guzzi engine in a craft before and do any of those in the know have any recommendations ?

Regards

Bill Black

Default Re: Osprey-Guzzi

I suspect a V50 motor would be a good choice... but JUNK the Italian electrics!

Ian

That is a Kestrel hull you have. That engine will be wasted with such a small duct. Also the Kestrel has very little freeboard and isn't really suitable as a cruiser. If you stopped on water with such a heavy engine you will either capsize or sink.

Believe me I capsized a Kestrel in the estuary 25 years ago and that was with a relatively light 2 stroke engine!

Hi Gavin, Kestrel and Falcon? where did they fit in the Osprey timeline? Philip

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=2194&private=0[/img]

<font color="darkblue">Not the best of pics but this is a Falcon with the larger duct on it. It had a Robin Reliant engine in it and i belive i may know where one is, but i had worked on it in the last 2 years. PM me if you want any more details i may still have some of the mouldings to enlarge the Duct if you are intested.

Kind regards

Kev [/COLOR]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Early 80s. I'm sure Kip will fill in the details. I bought my first Kestrel ex Paul McCollum in 1984 which I used on the Medway, Thames and Loire with a hybrid Yamaha RD250E/LC. Then in 1986 bought Martin Dougalls Kestrel which had a "huge" 800mm duct and raced it in F3 with the same engine which had been tuned by bike racer Paul Siddons. Mick Anderson had more success with that engine after I sold it to him.

When I first met the South Eastern Hoverclub in 1984 almost everyone had a Kestrel or a Falcon. Perhaps because Kip was club chairman .

I only ever remember one Falcon with a Reliant engine and that was Nick Flint's who used to write great mag articles about his hovering holidays. Could Kevs picture be of that craft?

As I say, craft design has moved on and the fundamental flaw with these craft was the foam block bonded on the bottom which rendered them prone to capsize. On later craft Kip moved the buoyancy up to the planing surfaces resulting in a safer and more stable floating platform. Also freeboard was increased.

So are you saying dont waste the time effort and money ? I live in the countryside adjacent to a canal and have 25 miles available without a lock which is where I was planning on using it , can the two halves be seperated with this hull or does the (urethane?) foam stick the two together , I have access to fibreglass expertise, ( father in law is a boat builder !) so I could perhaps change the duct , would I be better off sourcing a fixer upper hull in the UK ?

Thanks for the replies and opinions

Bill Black

Hi Bill. Off topic a bit. Will you be comming to the AGM this year?