Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50th Anniversary of the Hovercraft

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default 50th Anniversary of the Hovercraft

I understand that this is the 50th Anniversary of the invention of the hovercraft. I am chairman of the local business partnership and there are plans to celebrate this here in Hythe Southampton the home of the inventor Sir Christopher Cockerell. We are not very hovercraft savvy so if anyone has any suggestions to help us we would appreciate it!!

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Default Re: 50th Anniversary of the Hovercraft

It is the 50th anniversary of the first crossing of the channel by the SRN1.

The Hovercraft Museum is having a 4 day event this year (more information to follow).

What is it you were thinking of doing?
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

The Parish Council are working on ideas but not much has been sorted. It is short notice but this is why I have become involved. There is a hovercraft slipway at the back of the parish council offices that is used occasionally by craft from the museum in Portsmouth. We are a very small town/village with a big history including the very run down bungalow that he lived in.

I was hoping that passenger runs from Hythe to Portsmouth on their hovercraft may be arranged on some sort of regular basis. I am sure there are massive hoops we will have to jump through. The person organising things at the council is away this week but hopefully I can let you know her ideas then.

Hythe is on the Solent at the edge of the New Forest so it is a great visitor 'trap'!!!

Thanks for the corrections - we have obviously not got our facts quite right about the invention of the hovercraft but hence the cry for help!!!

Huge hoops will be needed! Passenger runs will probably be a no go because of various insurance/liability issues. I'm sure someone else will be along to elaborate on that! How often would you want to run these passenger flights and how many people would you want to get on a craft?

I would recommend talking direct with Warwick at the museum. http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/

I think it would probably be a better idea to work with us and museum on doing something on the weekend of their hovershow. We are organising a cruise starting from the museum on one of the days over the weekend. Maybe we could put your place on as a destination and make a 'guest' appearance? Rides would not be possible because of the insurance we carry.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Great stuff!!! Helen (from the Parish council) will appreciate the contacts - if she has not already made contact already. Regular passenger flights may be something for future years!!!

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Hythe - the home of Hovercraft Development Ltd in the 60-70s - played a key role in the development of hovercraft so we ought to help. Worth noting we have one of our National Race meetings at Gang Warily just 3 miles away over 3 days on the August Bank holiday weekend. Someone from the Southern branch who are organising that ought to get involved. How about linking a cruising event from Hythe on the same weekend, sharing the GW campsite? Also worth involving Griffon Hovercraft (who were based in Hythe some years ago?) and Hovpod both of whom are just across the water in Southampton.
    Keith Oakley

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakley View Post
    How about linking a cruising event from Hythe on the same weekend, sharing the GW campsite?
    It's like one mind! Already talking about it!!!
    Cheers

SixpackPert