Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Hovercraft Speed Record

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: World Hovercraft Speed Record

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rennick View Post
    They're on the WHF web site (www.world-hovercraft-federation.org) in the download section.

Bob
    I think there may be a Typo in the regs, apparently the noise regs are 87db (85 for F25).
    I doubt ANY racing Hovercraft capable of over 80mph could meet that..

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

You might be surprised. Whilst I don't recall the readings from Bob Windt's current record holder, it was extremely quiet. It used a V6 automotive engine complete with muffler and thrust was via a very large diameter, slow turning propeller.

Bob

Less than 10 posts so far!

Just for the facts, we have placed a GPS Data logger in the craft from Dan Turnbull in Sweden durin the WHC 2008 and we have measured a 118 km/h as the top speed on water.

On the short race track in Freiburg we had done this in 2008 with Miki Scanavino as well and we had a max. speed of 101 km/h.

Picture with the Data from see: http://www.hovercraftboote.de/09_ima...g_freiburg.jpg

Best regards
    Thomas

I especially like the red scriggley bits in the middle of the picture!

Bob

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

The long term plan is that you will get GPS traces like this live on the satellite pic thats on the left of the www.live.raceresults.info webpage but I haven't made any GPS equipped tags yet....
    Keith

That'd be pretty cool, Keith. Hop to it!

Seriously, though. You're spoiling us with all your work and the 'best' is now expected!

Bob

gaz

Question Re: World Hovercraft Speed Record

I heard somewhere that there is a theoretical top speed for hovercraft , for some reason above this speed its no longer a hovercraft . Have I got this wrong Could someone please put me straight .

More than 10 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

Having recently been involved with a speed event I had reason to look at the WHF regulations as put together by Bob Rennick in 2002 and was disappointed that the wording was Formula based Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LockKen GM 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	6707which ment that a craft built to simlar size and weight to that used by American Bob Windt would not be sanctioned by the WHF in spite of the fact that he claimed that the WHF sanctioned Bobs results in Portugal.
    I wrote to all members of the WHF in June suggesting that thay had an open formula above that of F1 craft in order to level out the playing field ,I am still waiting for a reply BUT in the mean time the WHF chairman has asked the technical representative to up date the guidelines which has been done by introducing the currant formula engine capacities and adding a weight restriction of 300 Kg