Thread: George Armitage.Hovercrafts 1960s &1970s

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default George Armitage.Hovercrafts 1960s &1970s

I am trying to find some information on a certain George Armitage of Albert Road, Levenshulme, Manchester. He was my dentist, but in his spare time built and raced hovercraft. He may also have held hovercraft speed records during this period!

Default Re: George Armitage.Hovercrafts 1960s &1970s

I don't know how much research work you have done so far but GIYF (Google is your Friend

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A...=2008-06-18#-1

Light hovercraft "Tadpole" and "Manchester Maid" constructed by Mr. George Armitage of Albert Road, Levenshulme and displayed at the Droylsden Air Day, 11th April, 1968. The hovercraft 'Manchester Maid' was the holder of the World Speed Record for light hovercraft. 2118/100 1968

Contents: Negative Sheet Number 2/L16/58

Shops on Barlow Road, Levenshulme at the junction with Dunstable Street (formerly Derby Street) July 1968. The Beswick Co-operative Society's shop at the corner was used shortly afterwards as the Levenshulme Hovercraft Works of Mr. George Armitage. (x) 2118/109 1968

Contents: Negative Sheet Number 2/L13/66

Light hovercraft "Mancunian II" under construction at the Levenshulme premises of Mr. George Armitage. (x) 2118/110 No Date

Contents: Negative Sheet Number 2/L15/80

As 2118/110. 2118/111 [n.d.]

Contents: Negative Sheet Number 2/L15/82

Light hovercraft at the premises of Mr. George Armitage in Albert Road, Levenshulme, March, 1969. (x) 2118/112 1969

Contents: Negative Sheet Number 2/L15/83

http://www.royalautomobileclub.co.uk...d=682&t=subsub

Title - Hovercraft Amateur Speed Record Scope and Content
    This file consists of a photograph of George Armitage when he set a new record. ReferenceRAC 3/1/34 Creator
    Covering Dates 1968- 1968 Extent and Medium1 item No further on-line information
    Might require some footwork...

There's a guy doing a local history thing (could be you, of course!) who is interested in researching this chap too: http://www.levyboy.com/streets_where_you_lived.htm

"The house on the left of the photo was the home and surgery of my dentist, George Armitage. George Armitage built a number of hovercraft at these premises ( See the aviation page). I would like to find out more information on his exploits!1"

Mind you it'll take some large lift motor to get the latest prototype off the drive....

Perhaps a mod could shrink the photograph....
    Last edited by Jon Pert; 12-May-09 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Image made smaller

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

I remember competing against George in '68-69 on the beach at Skegness with its bracing sea airs. In fact he was partly responsible for my highest ever race position (2nd). The rally was one craft at a time against the clock along the beach downwind then turn and come back along the beach to the start. George set off at a cracking pace in his 3 engined craft (similar design to early Hoverhawk with one central lift engine and 2 thrust engines with props overhanging the side of the craft) only to disappear into a lunar like crater the tide had left in the sand. The craft seemed to explode with bits (including props) flying everywhere. When the dust settled George emerged staggering away from the wreckage, I suspect still with a cigar clamped between his jaws. My craft, being the slowest one there, survived the downwind leg and by getting out and pushing it I got it back against the wind. Only the Hoverhawk actually completed a timed lap under its own power.
    George was quite a character and the central figure in the Manchester Hoverclub in the early years. He sold useful bits like engines and wooden props many of them copies of real props turned out using his wood shaping machine. It was rumoured though that on at least one occasion the wood used was an old chairleg!
    I think George was active in the period 1967-70. I believe a stock of mags from these earliest days of the club are currently being scanned so members will be able to read more of his exploits.
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith Oakley; 13-May-09 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks for the info so far posted on George Armitage. Does anyone have any photos of George, or his hovercraft? Best wishes, George Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakley View Post
    I remember competing against George in '68-69 on the beach at Skegness with its bracing sea airs. In fact he was partly responsible for my highest ever race position (2nd). The rally was one craft at a time against the clock along the beach downwind then turn and come back along the beach to the start. George set off at a cracking pace in his 3 engined craft (similar design to early Hoverhawk with one central lift engine and 2 thrust engines with props overhanging the side of the craft) only to disappear into a lunar like crater the tide had left in the sand. The craft seemed to explode with bits (including props) flying everywhere. When the dust settled George emerged staggering away from the wreckage, I suspect still with a cigar clamped between his jaws. My craft, being the slowest one there, survived the downwind leg and by getting out and pushing it I got it back against the wind. Only the Hoverhawk actually completed a timed lap under its own power.
    George was quite a character and the central figure in the Manchester Hoverclub in the early years. He sold useful bits like engines and wooden props many of them copies of real props turned out using his wood shaping machine. It was rumoured though that on at least one occasion the wood used was an old chairleg!
    I think George was active in the period 1967-70. I believe a stock of mags from these earliest days of the club are currently being scanned so members will be able to read more of his exploits.
    Keith
    Hi Keith, Do you by chance have any photos of George Armitage, or his hovercraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Trollbooster View Post
    There's a guy doing a local history thing (could be you, of course!) who is interested in researching this chap too: http://www.levyboy.com/streets_where_you_lived.htm

"The house on the left of the photo was the home and surgery of my dentist, George Armitage. George Armitage built a number of hovercraft at these premises ( See the aviation page). I would like to find out more information on his exploits!1"

Mind you it'll take some large lift motor to get the latest prototype off the drive....

Perhaps a mod could shrink the photograph....
    Hi, Yes this is my website, where I am trying to find some info on George Armitage.

Hello,

I am the son of George Armitage and he past away in July 2009 at the grand age of 84. You are right, he was quite a character and embarked on many of adventures during his lifetime. I have lots of pictures of my farther from his hovercraft days in Albert Rd and even some of the hovercraft models, technical drawings and engines from this time that he saved.

If you require any information on my farther you are more than welcome to contact me on 07811 934 755 or at r.armitage@gmx.com