Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh water Central Scotland

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Fresh water Central Scotland

After some length of time, I have at last got the craft running, although it still looks a bit rough. I have tested it out on a field, but really want to get it on to water. I think that I would get jailed if I took it to Loch Lubnaig, so thinking about Loch Earn, Loch Lomond or Loch Tay. I have an offer from a friend who has given me permission to try it out from his land onto Loch Voil. So any ideas would be helpful.
    Cheers
    Millar

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Post Re: Fresh water Central Scotland

From memory you have a 503 racing craft?

Apart from the noise issue and hacking off the locals you may have to think about the following.

Does the craft have plenty of buoyancy?
    Will you have support to help you if the engine stops on water and you can't get it going?
    How populated is the area you want to try it out in?
    How open to the public is the area you are intending to use?
    Do you have insurance for operating the craft?

If it is a racing craft a private lake would be a better option tbh. Noise is our main enemy (that and ebay specials causing havoc on beaches) so I would urge you to not operate where you are likely to cause complaints as it could cause problems if quieter cruising craft want to use the area in the future.

If the craft does not have enough buoyancy then it will sink. If it is a racing craft you cannot be sure that the buoyancy is still good or indeed still there from when it was made. Try a float test close to shore. Sit in it with the engine off for at least 10 minutes.

Just a few thoughts and of course if my memory is that poor and you do not have a racing craft then please ignore the above and we'll start again.

No doubt the Scots will be along shortly to add their 2 penneth!
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts

Default Re: Fresh water Central Scotland

Hi

What sort of craft is it?

Before you go out you need to think about these ...

Safety:

Does it have enough freeboard? Does it have buoyancy?

Will the craft get you back? Can you get the craft back?

Have you got the proper gear?

Noise:

If this is a race craft don't take it onto public waters, it almost certainly far too noisy, and will result in yet another hovercraft ban..

Rescue:

Is there independent means of rescue? Can you call for help?

Code of Conduct:

This is our Code of Conduct... designed to keep the peace with other water users!

HCGB Code of Conduct for Cruising v7a.pdf

Cheers
    Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Ah - familiar names of hover cruise sites in days gone by. I had a great week cruising around Loch Tay with Anita in '73 and remember well the 20+ craft club cruising weeks to Loch Lubnaig in '77 & '78. I remember with affection Jim Lynes campfire reflections on being recovered from the river below Strathyre's sewage outfall. And bombing down the measured mile on Loch Lubnaig in Spirit of Snodland at an awesome 38mph, as measured by the same guys who measured Campbells Bluebird a few years earlier.

But those were the days when the local Trossachs tourist board, anxious to increase visitors, would welcome you with open arms, and indeed invited you to come.

I have no idea what the attitude is in these 'ealth and safety conscious days, but as Jon says the quieter the better.
    Keith

Administrator

Hi Millar,

Where are you located? And - what type of craft do your have?

There aren;t many fresh water locations publicly available that I know of - plenty salt water areas though

Less than 10 posts so far!

Thanks for the advice.
    Firstly, I remember the times well, when you all came to Loch Lubnaig, as Strathyre was home at that time.
    I am going to talk with some members of the National Park, I know some of the board members personally. Yes, there are all sorts of restrictions, although if you can find where they written down, then you are doing better than me. Loch Lomond does have a registration scheme for all powered water craft, from jet skis to power boats, also the sea planes work from here. So could try there. Loch Earn also has water sports, jet skis, water skiing, sea planes land there and a couple of weeks ago, there were flying model sea planes around the place. Loch Tay also allows power boats, jet skis, the sea plane and water skiing, even the fishermen put up with this up there, we also have a fishing boat up there. Loch Voil has the sea plane landing up there as well and I have permission from a riparian owner, so could try there and its in the middle of nowhere. So, if you see that I am taking a lot of things into consideration. However if I still lived in Strathyre, then I wouldn't give a damn, local rule and all that and to hell with all the political bullshit.
    So to the craft, yes its a 503, running twin 36mm mikunis and with a Rotax exhaust. I recon more noise comes off the fan than the engine. Its an old Vortex craft, built orginal by Ewan and wrecked by someone else. It floats.
    I live in Callander, about 15miles north west of Stirling.
    Cheers
    Millar

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Given the amount of power activity I think you're in with a good chance especially if you talk to National Park board members. Most 503 craft I've noise tested, if they have a good exhaust, make most of their noise from the engine air intake and the fan. The fix is an airbox silencer on the air intake.
    Keith

Forum God > 400 posts

I have two craft registered on Loch Lomond and have used it several times in the past launching from Balloch or Milarrochay Bay. I've not used it since they introduced extensive speed restrictions a couple of years ago which make hovercraft operation almost impossible - you need to travel nearly a mile from the Balloch launch site to get out of the 6mph speed zone

The other Lochs are a bit too small for us nowadays

We may be on the Tay this Saturday afternoon if we can find a suitable launch site near Perth.