Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh water Central Scotland

Forum God > 400 posts

Default Re: Fresh water Central Scotland

I'm going to be using the 503 for thrust on the Surveyor, what kind of intake or what would a intake silencer look like and be made of for the 503.
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Intake silencer for twin carb.

Intake silencer for single carb.

Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Ah don,t want to sound to negitive.... i have seen a 447 on a sev before!!! although the craft was good the motor made it top heavy,hard to protect from the elements and was very keen on sucking salt water down its throat. All the sev,s that work very well over here have been built to the plans the ones that have been altered............ Do not. Again the last thing i would want to do is run down your build and we wish you all the best of luck.

Forum God > 400 posts

I have been pondering that, maybe getting a 4 stroke for the thrust as well. But who would want my Rotax ? not sure anyone would want it around here.

GARRY: Will call him now.
    Last edited by atters; 3-Jun-09 at 12:05 PM.
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Less than 10 posts so far!

Thanks for your advice, I think if I get hassle about noise then the inlet silencer seems to be the way to go.
    Basically I just want to have a laugh with the craft, nothing serious.
    I think the west end of Loch Tay and Loch Lomond would be the way to go. Millarochy Bay would be almost ideal as you don't have to go too far before you can exceed the 6mph speed limit. The west end of Loch Tay has some good launch points and I think I can use the slip in the village, then go down the Lochy out to the Loch.
    So when I get things sorted where I can use it without upsetting locals, conservationists, do gooders, etc I will let you know.
    Cheers
    Millar

gaz

please dont mess things up for the rest of us, dont get me wrong we all are out for a bit of fun. but please invest in the silencer, it is not only the cost of the parts... its the cost to hovercrafting if you upset the public.

Very active > 100 posts

Jon is that air intake silencer the sort of thing members are fitting to reduce noise?

I would have thought the air filter element would have to be inside the box with a air duct feeding it to really bring the noise down or am i missing something
    Filters in open air are noisy and clog up with water and dust really quick
    not good for a hovercraft in my opinion.
    Trev

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

We did some tests on it with Keiths noise cam and it did bring the noise down I believe, I forget by how much I'm sure Keith could let us know.

I ran a 447 on the Severn with an intake silencer and the filter didn't cause a problem (the bendy fuel pipe did though!) in the 3 or 4 hours it was out there.

An intake silencer and after muffler do help, as much as is possible with a 2-stroke. A well designed engine cover will also help to keep noise down and spray out, not so easy when the fan is driven off the gearbox though!
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"