Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First build, junior project UH12T4

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Re: First build, junior project UH12T4

Quote Originally Posted by the goose View Post
    hi

you can get the multiwing 5z from k&m products.or you can get the 5z equivalent in hasconwing from vortex.

good luck

rick
    Ok, thanks, unfortunately these seem to be a little bit more expensive than the ones that Ken sells, is the average price for these kind of blades usually around 90?

Kind regard
    C.S.Frazer

Extremely active > 250 posts!

yep thats what you will pay for a set,

its extremly doubtfull multiwing will sell them to you direct, if you say hovercraft you have no chance.

unfortuneatly, the blades, hubs, ducts are the expensive bits, and i would say ken is your best choice, one of his ducts is 100quid ish, as it a fan and hub.

the belt drives, bearings etc can be done cheaper using bearings blocks, making your own shafts and frames etc. will save money (got a machine shop at college/school)?
    or these can be bought off the shelf from ken.

how are you going to get the PTO off the bandit engine? there is a company that does sprocket adpaters for kit cars, which could be modified to take a flexible coupling to drive the bottom shaft, but these are 100quid, before you start!

the rotax would have been easier/simpler to get power off the crank, but not as suitable in an eagle 4, which assume you want to cruise in? bandit engine is a bit of a monster, but like your way of thinking
    Jon

Forum God > 400 posts

Quote Originally Posted by curtis5420 View Post

the belt drives, bearings etc can be done cheaper using bearings blocks, making your own shafts and frames etc. will save money
    I like these guys:

Bearing Boys

Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

Newbie Club Member

This is a big project for a 14 year old! I build this model in 2003 with my teenage son and we are still enjoying cruising with it. I have a few sugestions after owning this for a few years. If you have not already put the skins on (plywood ) coat these with Smiths CPES http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/index.html This will seal the plywood and make it more resistant to the elements. It is a good foundation to paint and other epoxy products. It goes on like water and penetrates the wood fibers. It doesn't add much weight and will do the job of one coat of primer when you are ready to paint. The other thought is to not vary from the plans. Weight is your enemy!!!!!!. This design is a minimally powered craft but does perform as advertised if built per plan. The duct size and engine you are thinking of is probably not correct for this design. We have used the plan 42" duct with a 42/21 wood prop and an 18 hp 4 stroke and get OK performance. We are going to upgrade the duct to 54" with a 25hp vertical but this is only after much redesign and consultation. This is not a first build mod that I reccomend. If you want to use your 2 stroke you can not run a direct drive on the fan! The RPM will be way to high. We use more props in the US. I have tried a fan and the prop is much more efficient on our craft. i noticed that you where thinking of coating your engine with an epoxy coating. There is probably a high temperature Epoxy paint out their but standard epoxy will turn to jelly at high temperatures! Make sure the epoxy will take the temps.We painted our engine with standard rattle can enamel and it has heald up well. Other thoughts will come as you get further into the build. Don't get discouraged. ours took 4 years of sundays to get flying! Here is a recent picture of Ice hovering in Michigan. Lots of fun! Good luck with your project.
    Come race and cruiser with us in the US. Contact me via the HCA website and we'll talk about all of the hovercraft opportunities in the US.

Default Re: First build, junior project Eagle 4

Quote Originally Posted by shull3 View Post
    This is a big project for a 14 year old! I build this model in 2003 with my teenage son and we are still enjoying cruising with it. I have a few sugestions after owning this for a few years. If you have not already put the skins on (plywood ) coat these with Smiths CPES http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/index.html This will seal the plywood and make it more resistant to the elements. It is a good foundation to paint and other epoxy products. It goes on like water and penetrates the wood fibers. It doesn't add much weight and will do the job of one coat of primer when you are ready to paint. The other thought is to not vary from the plans. Weight is your enemy!!!!!!. This design is a minimally powered craft but does perform as advertised if built per plan. The duct size and engine you are thinking of is probably not correct for this design. We have used the plan 42" duct with a 42/21 wood prop and an 18 hp 4 stroke and get OK performance. We are going to upgrade the duct to 54" with a 25hp vertical but this is only after much redesign and consultation. This is not a first build mod that I reccomend. If you want to use your 2 stroke you can not run a direct drive on the fan! The RPM will be way to high. We use more props in the US. I have tried a fan and the prop is much more efficient on our craft. i noticed that you where thinking of coating your engine with an epoxy coating. There is probably a high temperature Epoxy paint out their but standard epoxy will turn to jelly at high temperatures! Make sure the epoxy will take the temps.We painted our engine with standard rattle can enamel and it has heald up well. Other thoughts will come as you get further into the build. Don't get discouraged. ours took 4 years of sundays to get flying! Here is a recent picture of Ice hovering in Michigan. Lots of fun! Good luck with your project.
    Hi! thanks for the advice.

I think that I may be at cross purpouses with you, and I think I may need to start a new thread to avoid confusion, I am actually building an eagle 4 craft as I changed my mind due to the sketchness of the Uh plans, I could have worked them out with help over some time, but the eagle 4 plan and designs are easier to understand. , is that the model you were refering to? I thought that the engine was a 45hp rotax as opposed 18hp. The Eagle 4 is an integrated craft, with one engine. But that epoxy penetrating sealer may come in useful, thanks.

Yours
    C.S.Frazer

Exclamation Re: First build, junior project UH12T4

HELLO EVERYONE
    ALERT: THREAD RELOCATED DUE TO TITLE CONFUSION
    THE NEW THREAD IS LOCATED AT:
    http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthr...7268#post67268
    Please, if you want to make a comment or offer advice etc, Please do so on the NEW thread link. Thank you, C.S.Frazer.

Newbie Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by c.s.frazer View Post
    HELLO EVERYONE

ALERT: THREAD RELOCATED DUE TO TITLE CONFUSION
    THE NEW THREAD IS LOCATED AT:http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthr...6726#post66726

Please, if you want to make a comment or offer advice etc, Please do so on the NEW thread link. Thank you, C.S.Frazer.
    I think that the plans for the UH 12T4 are verry sketchy! They do have most of the info if you dig and compare sheets. The plan that you are building looks very interesting. I have not seen this craft in action. Forget all of the comments I made about the 12T4 this is a very different craft. The epoxy sealer is still a good idea. Good luck with your project and hope that you will be cruising sometime this year.
    Come race and cruiser with us in the US. Contact me via the HCA website and we'll talk about all of the hovercraft opportunities in the US.