Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gang Warily -TV Ideas

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Gang Warily -TV Ideas

The long term objective for covering events live on the internet has always been to attract new members. The audience for the 6 events we've done so far this year has averaged 25-50 mostly members of the 'hovering community' in the UK and around the world. To attract new folk we have to promote it in advance to 'non hovercraft people'. Two things have stopped us doing that so far - the unpredictable broadband coverage at the site and difficulties presenting an event with a limited no of cameras (trees, vehicles etc get in the way!)

With Gang Warily, on sat 29th to mon 31st august, we know we have good solutions to these probs - the Leisure Centre is kindly offering access to their broadband, and the course layout means everything can be seen from race control (plus one of Pauls radio cameras for the one blindspot 'round the back'). So I'd like, with your help, to put a bit more effort into covering the event.

To do this we need to promote it beyond the club. The leisure centre will promote it on their new site - including Twitter! We need to find ways to promote it on other sites - Pistonheads is one but there must be others. -Scouts, schools, boating, jetski, making things sites etc. I'd welcome members plugging it on other sites - can you use the address live.hovercraft.org.uk because that will give us a means to roughly measure the 'new contacts' That address will push viewers through to the usual address live.raceresults.info. Can club members please continue to use the latter address. Can we promote it on any BBC etc pre event TV coverage - eg a background banner with the address? Coverage should start around 11am UK time each day with a repeat on sat evening.

We need to improve the presentation - for example permanently manning the video switch so viewers are always seeing something interesting, and a relief commentator to allow Barry to have a break eg during paddock opens. Paul is producing some videos to help fill in paddock opens - theres a 1 hour compilation of recent coverage, and a video about the museum event. I'd like to get 10mins of the BBC Coast prog and the Campbells videos of The Raid Cruise for example. Please send any material to Paul Taylor.

I'd also like to include some short say 1 min segs which give info on how craft work and whats involved in making/buying/operating a craft. Some of this could be live to camera interviews on the line, in the paddock etc some could be maybe short recordings we can put on between races. Paul and I are working on how to technically stitch in recorded material and captions in real time.

I'm hoping the Southern Club will come up with the usual commentators box which we can use as a editing suite/studio! - should we set up a panel of commentators to discuss the way Bloggs took that corner? I've confirmed with the GW Centre we should be able to broadcast up till 1030pm on Sat so I'd like to put out a repeat of the afternoons coverage immediately it ends at say 5pm so we can capture the US and 'out all day' market.

I'd like to enlist some volunteers to help for short stints at say the video switch, fill in commentary, cameras etc, particularly as Roger Drew the regular cameraman is on holiday saturday and sunday.

I'm going to be away covering the Polish event this weekend so I might be slow on the board over the next few days. Please can we have some volunteers?

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Oakley; 17-Aug-09 at 03:36 PM.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Default Re: Gang Warily -TV Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakley View Post
    I'd like to get 10mins of the BBC Coast prog
    Will bring that to Gang Warily on a mem stick for you, may have to look at copyright issues though.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Hi Keith,

Put me down for video switcher on Saturday :-)

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks Jon & Andy - any more volunteers? What about posting some ads on other sites?
    Keith

Forum God > 400 posts

Can I put something in our local paper ?

I will also place it on my Site...
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Why not - maybe you could start a local club!
    Keith

Very active > 100 posts Club Member datkins's Avatar

Happy to pitch in, will be arriving Friday if that helps with setup at all.

I will be setting up late fri afternoon -come along
    Keith