Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Hovercrafting

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Starting Hovercrafting

Hi Everyone, this is my first post & I've joined the forum looking to get started in hovercrafting.

I live in Astley(M29) and I'm looking to get into hovercrafting. Is it possible to have a go at this without buying a craft by hiring one etc?

Is there anywhere in my area that offers this? & is it possible to get into the sport without owning one. The problem is not so much cost, but having somewhere to store it (I live in an apartment).

I've always been fascinated by these craft & would love to have the chance to fly one.

Cheers

Dave

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Starting Hovercrafting

Dave,

You only live 5 miles from 3 hovercrafting families.

Send me a pm with your number and I'm sure we could arrange something.
    Chris and the boys

Thumbs up Re: Starting Hovercrafting

Great, i'm not the only new member with no experience in hovercrafting. I also have always been facinated with the sport but never had the money to build one till now. I am really stoked to get this project underway but really have no plans and any clue on how to go about starting the project. Can NE one help me? I have searched the net for a good set of plans for a "real" hovercraft. Not one of those shitty home made things. All the links I have found have proved to give me the run around just to find that I need to call to order the plans. I'm not about doing all of that. Would appreciate any help. Thanks all. Best of luck to all in this great world of hovercrafting.
    Keith

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Talking Re: Starting Hovercrafting

Quote Originally Posted by crazykp55 View Post
    Great, i'm not the only new member with no experience in hovercrafting. I also have always been facinated with the sport but never had the money to build one till now. I am really stoked to get this project underway but really have no plans and any clue on how to go about starting the project. Can NE one help me? I have searched the net for a good set of plans for a "real" hovercraft. Not one of those shitty home made things. All the links I have found have proved to give me the run around just to find that I need to call to order the plans. I'm not about doing all of that. Would appreciate any help. Thanks all. Best of luck to all in this great world of hovercrafting.
    Keith
    Hi and welcome,

Quick question to start with. Do you want to race or cruise your hovercraft?
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

I have searched the net for a good set of plans for a "real" hovercraft. Not one of those shitty home made things.
    I Just did 600Km up the Rhone and Saone in one of those! Can't be that bad. Depends who builds it though eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Pert View Post
    Hi and welcome,

Quick question to start with. Do you want to race or cruise your hovercraft?
    I have never flown a hovercraft before so I will be cruising to start out but eventually would like to get into racing.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Crazy,

Where abouts are you based? We can point you in the direction of local branches etc that could help you out.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts

I have never flown a hovercraft before so I will be cruising to start out but eventually would like to get into racing.
    Hi

Take a look at this:

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?t=6

It should help you make an informed decision regarding the craft you buy ar build. You will see that racing and cruising craft are typically very different, and what you choose may close off your options so be careful.

Don't be too hasty to dismiss homebuilt hovercraft - some of the most capable and successful cruising craft are homebuilt - the key is obtaining good plans and sticking to them. There will be plenty of advice regarding which plans to choose should you go that way - but you will need to buy them! And without storage, I fear that a homebuild would not be feasible (although it has been done in an attic with a crane used to lift it down when it was finished!)

This is my homebuilt:

IMGP0133.jpg

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Brooks; 10-Aug-09 at 08:35 PM.
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk